New to Saltwater and acrylic tanks

msavary76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone is Matt Eianna's Husband. I have a 150gal acrylic tank and i got some bulk heads that were just a shy to big. I talked with BRS and they actually said i could return them if i wanted to but it could take a week for them to get them back and then another few days to refund the money or ship out the new bulkheads. My question for everyone here how has delt with acrylic tanks is:
If i was to take a piece of sandpaper and just sanded about 2mm off the hole on each hole would it compremise the tank?

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't dealt with acrylic before but I don't see why I would do any harm. Maybe if it gets too close to an edge there might be some problems but I'm sure you would be fine. Just my opinion, again no experience just thinking

OP
OP
M

msavary76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1397706371.192725.jpg

I'm talking on a millimeter off each small hole and there's 4 more on the overflow

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I hear ya shipping costs kinda hurt. I love BRS but I feel like their shipping prices are kinda high compared to other places.

OP
OP
M

msavary76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thank you. I already checked out Dr Foster Smiths i dont remember why i went with BRS. Anywho im gonna slowly Sand it down and see what i can get accomplished tonight. Im suppose to have this up and running by tomorrow night my landlord says.

OP
OP
M

msavary76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im actually on this morning to report good news. I have 2 holes already fitted with bulkheads. 6 more to go. What i did was i just took a hole saw and just trimmed it a tiny bit bigger and it seems to have worked. THANK GOODNESS. My landlord is going insane with all these fishtanks in the kitchen.

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one of the things I was afraid of. If there is a place near you that deals with acrylic the maybe be able to replace that whole section and redrill holes were need be

OP
OP
M

msavary76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah 400 just for that piece of acrylic then they want about 25-30 per hole they have to drill so it would come out to about 9 holes. its ridiculous. So were gonna look into other options. :squigglemouth:

Back