Outdoor Sump

a1.gaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this is my first attempt at keeping Marine Fish. I have built my own corner tank and sump. Has anybody ever had any experience of housing their sump outside? I was thinking of digging a hole in the ground and putting the sump in a well insulated box in the ground, really just to keep the noise and mess out of the living room. Baring in mind I live in the UK and can have slightly harsh winters. I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter. Thanks Gary

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that would almost be impossible. A big reason people have sumps is to keep equipment ( heaters, skimmers etc..,) out of the display tank. I don't know how that could be done if it's outside and in the ground. I have heard of people who live in warm stable climates having out doors sumps but I can imagine having one where you live. Sumps take up space, but there is no reason they have to be noisy or messy if they are set up right.
Just my 2 cents :)

OP
OP
A

a1.gaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have changed my mind slightly, I am going to build a small sump shed on the outside wall of the house that can house the sump. I will insulate this well and hopefully it will be a lot easier to maintain. I have made a start on insulating the sump as shown
2014-04-23 19.21.10.jpg
2014-04-23 19.21.15.jpg

OP
OP
A

a1.gaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It maybe a bit overkill but I have bought 2 - 300 watt heaters, was planning on using 1 in the sump and 1 in the tank.....any thoughts?

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both heaters should be in the sump in my opinion. Put one is each chamber so that the flow goes over each and is heated in stages. However place the sump outside where is the skimmer going?

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand why youre doing all this? A well plumbed system wont make much noise, at least not enough to justify building an outside building and having to walk out there every time you want to adjust something.

OP
OP
A

a1.gaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully the skimmer is going to hang on the side of the first chamber and Paul the reason for this is lack of space inside and a (moaning her in doors) :crossedlips: Thanks for all the advice its much appreciated

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand why youre doing all this? A well plumbed system wont make much noise, at least not enough to justify building an outside building and having to walk out there every time you want to adjust something.
My sump makes zero noise. With a well thought out plan and good plumbing your sump and stand should be virtually silent. Why would you put it outside???The UK gets cold.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be interesting to see how this works out, but I am predicting large temperature swings. I could see heaters being on 24/7 in the winter. Keep us filled in how it goes!

OP
OP
A

a1.gaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice, I am going to build a small sump shed instead and I'll keep you updated.

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see this working out well, long term. Does it rain in the UK? Does it snow? Does the temperature change? Any of these, to a measurable degree will effect your tank. The main thing that promotes progress and success in the hobby, is stability. By throwing your sump outside, no matter how well insulated, you are thwarting the ability to create a stable marine environment. We struggle with stability in our aquariums, even when everything is in an entirely environmentally controlled space. Unless you live in the South Pacific, Caribbean, or somewhere that sees no real change during seasons, with a constant temperature and little rainfall, I can't see this working out.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use a heater because my pumps give off enough heat, but in spring when we get warm days my temp will bump up 3 to 4 degrees as the house warms. ( once we turn the air on the house stays a steady temp and it's not an issue) I can imagine what being outdoors will do even if it's well insulated .

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just following along because this is unique and unusual.

I would not build a wooden shed. Not sure if they are readily available in the UK, but i'd look at one of the plastic mini sheds they have. The humidity from the temperature differential will cause moisture on the walls in the winter. Here is the mini shed I used for my generator. Relatively inexpensive, and assembled in an hour or so.

c0e9a8cd-02c2-46f9-9872-efdc42ff0a58_zpsfc079186.jpg

f9b63f51-4497-49ac-8c99-96e0f00c1509_zpsc00b3152.jpg

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back