Toothbrushes?

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen staff in my LFS’s use a toothbrush and go over live rock in the displays to remove algae and detritus. My first thought was that this might actually spread and promote the algae. Should one regularly clean the rock like this? Is it okay to do on a very new system – a month or so old?

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me to, definitely a staple in a Reefkeepers tool arsenal. Always use it to clean off LR area before gluing down frags for better adhesion. Also very effective for cleaning out Z & P colonies, Pyrimidal Snails and their eggs off Clams etc... etc...

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. Thanks.

Is cleaning rock this way acceptable on a new system, or, do I need to let the algae, diatoms and cyano accumulate and just let the growing CUC take care of it?

Genesis Corals

Genesis 1:21
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. Thanks.

Is cleaning rock this way acceptable on a new system, or, do I need to let the algae, diatoms and cyano accumulate and just let the growing CUC take care of it?

If you have no corals in the tank I would personally just let the algae grow. That way the algae can absorb any trace metals and all the excessive phosphate and nitrate in your system.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't this remove/disturb the beneficial bacteria?

It does some but when I maintenance my tank I am not toothbrushing everything every time. I do this area this time, that area the next time so the bacteria's and beneficial creatures recolonize.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in no hurry to add corals, so I think I'll just let the algae grow, and focus on eliminating the NO3 and PO4. I did clean a small area however, just to see how easily or difficult the algae came off, and, to watch re-growth after. Thanks everyone!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back