May buy some live rock Sunday. Cure it or QT it first?

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may get some live rock this weekend to help seed my dry rock a bit more. I have concerns of starting another cycle, which I don't want to do. I already restarted my cycle once and it sucked lol getting tired of waiting lol. So If I buy fully cured live rock, if I put it straight in my tankl, this will start another cycle as I understand. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? I haven't set up my QT tank yet, but I will soon, but I'll be doing a 10% water change. Should I soak the live rock in the old water for awhile before adding it to my tank?

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends and if you order it online absolutely unavoidable. To be honest I'd feel safer saying its unavoidable, but time matters. The longer the rock is out of water the more likely you're going to see a mini cycle or something. If you're cycling a new tank already I would buy the rock and throw it in and wait the cycle out. One thing this hobby will teach you is patience. Don't rush things it will only lead to problems. :) You can do water changes to help minimize the impact, but the longer the rock is out of the water the more likely its going to happen. You could buy the rock and cycle it in another tank and add it later, but you mentioned you wanted the extra rock to seed the tank. Were you planning to seed it with bacteria for the nitrogen cycle or something else?

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have about 24 pounds of dry rock in there and it's been in for 2-3 weeks. I had a rotting shrimp in there awhile back for about a week, so my cycle is at it's end now. ammonia and nitrites are 0. i've been doing small water changes to try and get my whopping 160ppm nitrates down to acceptable levels. I had placed 2 pounds of live rock from LFS in from the very beginning, but wondering if that was even enough. My tank has been water filled for a month. 2 pounds of live rock (from lfs) have been in there for a month. 1st batch of dry rock (from brs) has been in there for about 3 weeks. 2nd batch of dry rock has been in for about 2 weeks (that's what RE-started my cycle last time)

No fish yet, but I was planning on getting a few crabs or snails or something this weekend at the LFS and maybe a few pounds of LR if it's recommended. Time from LFS to my house is about a 40 minute drive so it would be out of the water for a little under an hour.

Last edited:

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have about 24 pounds of dry rock in there and it's been in for 2-3 weeks. I had a rotting shrimp in there awhile back for about a week, so my cycle is at it's end now. ammonia and nitrites are 0. i've been doing small water changes to try and get my whopping 160ppm nitrates down to acceptable levels. I had placed 2 pounds of live rock from LFS in from the very beginning, but wondering if that was even enough. My tank has been water filled for a month. 2 pounds of live rock (from lfs) have been in there for a month. 1st batch of dry rock (from brs) has been in there for about 3 weeks. 2nd batch of dry rock has been in for about 2 weeks (that's what RE-started my cycle last time)

No fish yet, but I was planning on getting a few crabs or snails or something this weekend at the LFS and maybe a few pounds of LR if it's recommended. Time from LFS to my house is about a 40 minute drive so it would be out of the water for a little under an hour.

What size tank? 24 lbs total of dry rock? To be honest you don't need live rock to cycle a tank. Some people use a shrimp with all dry rock and some mix live rock with dry rock. I'd expect a cycle and what are the other parms? Are you sure it's done cycling?

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30g long. pretty sure it's done. my nitrites are 0.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 160ppm
Salinity: 1.022
Temp: 77

That's all I have. crappy api test kit

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just add the rock to your tank and see what your levels are. I wouldn't think that adding some pieces of live rock would cause another cycle. I know it's hard but be patient before adding livestock.

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't I be able to at least start on my CUC? I'm not putting in any fish yet, but since my nitrites are 0, doesn't that mean I can start on CUC? Or is there more I have to do first? Do you think I need more live rock?

Last edited:

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 minute drive from LFS shouldn't cause too much die off on the LR. Have them wrap it in wet newspaper. Remember too that it will be a small percentage of rock compared to the tank, so now the tank can offset a little bit of die off without triggering a cycle.

anizato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are at patience end, do a super large WC(50%+) add the rock check Nitrates again and when Nitrates are near 10 add Dr Tims One and Only Nitrifying Bacteria, you can even add fish immediately afterwards. No need to wait! (;
Any reason your salinity is that low? 1.025 is the goal as I understand (for a reef tank, the Sea is near 1.028, hobbyists do it lower for safety and ease of maintenance)
Get more kits: Test for phosphates 0, alk 7-12, magnesium 1350, calcium 420-500 for the first few months, test every 2-3 days (keep notes) and do your weekly WC until you understand how your particular tank functiona. No two tanks are alike.
Keep us posted. All the best.

anizato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah just dont make the same mistake i did of adding the salt directly to the tank. Fortunately I had no Livestock in there!!
Maybe a WC and adjust your salinity with the new water. Make your mix at 1.025 and if you lie between 24/25 everything will be happy! By the time you put your shrimp, which are very delicate to gravity changes, you should be waaay better at getting the gravity perfect! It only took me a few times to get it right. Over the weeks your skills will be more advanced :)

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned allot already. My first water change was HORRIBLE haha. I put the water into the tank and realized the water was cold, so I had to battle to get my water temp back up to normal. Then I realized I had to add salt because it dropped way down. So I added salt (Mixed it in a cup and poured it in the water) and accidentally added too much. SO I had to do another water change. Then I slowly added the salt to get it tup 1.022. Then I spilled stuff all over the floor. oh it was awful and had a good ol time trying to figure out how to use the sipon tube!!! goodness..... The second time I did a water change, I learned a bit. I bought a 3 gallon bucket, which would be my 10% of a 30 gallon tank. I filled the bucket with RODI water (I was previously using natural spring water. nono!) I then put a small heater in the bucket to raise temp to 76 or 77 ish. I also, mixed in one cup of salt per gallon, which brought the salinity in the bucket up to 1.22. When the water in the bucket was all okay, I then siphoned out 3 gallons from the tank and poured the water from the bucket into the tank. It was MUCH easier that way! :p

anizato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL sounds like fun !!!
I also made a puddle on the floor when I first tried my WC!!! ROFL!

But from that mistake you got your own system, which is ultimately the goal !!! :)

Keep us posted! Good work bro

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned allot already. My first water change was HORRIBLE haha. I put the water into the tank and realized the water was cold, so I had to battle to get my water temp back up to normal. Then I realized I had to add salt because it dropped way down. So I added salt (Mixed it in a cup and poured it in the water) and accidentally added too much. SO I had to do another water change. Then I slowly added the salt to get it tup 1.022. Then I spilled stuff all over the floor. oh it was awful and had a good ol time trying to figure out how to use the sipon tube!!! goodness..... The second time I did a water change, I learned a bit. I bought a 3 gallon bucket, which would be my 10% of a 30 gallon tank. I filled the bucket with RODI water (I was previously using natural spring water. nono!) I then put a small heater in the bucket to raise temp to 76 or 77 ish. I also, mixed in one cup of salt per gallon, which brought the salinity in the bucket up to 1.22. When the water in the bucket was all okay, I then siphoned out 3 gallons from the tank and poured the water from the bucket into the tank. It was MUCH easier that way! :p

When I serviced tanks you wouldn't believe the mistakes I made in the beginning! One of the worst was I unhooked tubing from a skimmer to a power head, (to clean the skimmer). Well when I got done I forgot to hook the tubing back up so when I turned on the system the power head shot water across the room, hit an outlet and tripped the circuit! Luckily the home owner wasn't home so I got the room cleaned up before he saw. I can't remember how I got the electricity back on but it all worked out. LOL

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol thats funny. Did you used to work in a lfs then? Reminds me, I need to install a GFCI

Yes, I worked for the LFS from 1997- 2011. They were not your run of the mill chain store. The owner loved what he did and he loved doing it with excellence. My first 6 months I thought I'd never do things right, (almost quit multiple times) but then it began to fall into place and I felt blessed to work there and they felt blessed to have me. I learned so much. A lot of the tech has changed but the biology and chemistry has not.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't ask me about LEDs or reactors! LOL I really feel stupid but neither one of those were widely used when I worked. Believe it or not fuges with miracle mud was cutting edge when I worked, haha. I guess that means I'm getting old!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back