Overflow plumbing.

jerseypete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just about finished my tank plumbing. Im wondering should the plumbing parts in the overflow be glued. Im assuming the return line should be. Should the drain pipes be.
uploadfromtaptalk1397823879146.jpg

shovelrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glue all joints that are not directly over the sump. Joints over the sump can leak a little and cause no issues but salt creep on the pipes. However, for the non glued joints you should push them in tightly.
Good luck!

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jerseypete,

In my over flow I don't have any pipes glued. This is so that I can pull them out and clean them.

All other joints for the return is glued and I use unions to be able to remove the return for cleaning.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always recommend using threaded fittings so it can be disassembled and cleaned as needed. The Stockman standpipe cap slips on the standpipe so again it can come off and be cleaned and a Fluval brush can be run down the standpipe to clean it out inside where it leads down to the sump.

In this Sticky Post I discuss not only bulkheads but also threaded fittings, unions, thread sealants and such too:
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/eq...iltration/34973-installing-bulkhead-tips.html

Last edited:

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on what zemuss and AZ said. On my return that's sticking up in the overflow box I glued a threaded pvc adapter to the stand pipe and got a thread ended loc line piece to screw them together.

OP
OP
jerseypete

jerseypete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys im going to leave everything unglued except the line lock return. Ill leave the pipe to the bulkhead unglued. I have a spare that will be easy to replace and ill always have a clean one on hand
uploadfromtaptalk1397832627411.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1397832627411.jpg

OP
OP
jerseypete

jerseypete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i just filled the tank and started everything up. The overflow is dead silent. Worked great. Only sound is a slight hum from the return pump. I can live with that. Rock is just placed in tank. Still have to place it where i want. Was cycling for 5 months in a rubbermaid. All parm. Perfect. Phosphate at 0. Water already starting to clear up. Rinsed the sand for hours. Im happy. Have 2 small leaks that i will take care of tomorrow. One valve and fitting to bulkhead on refuge. Maybe one drip every 20 min. Dry before the next drip.
uploadfromtaptalk1398050889814.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398050902106.jpg

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to use a threaded bulkhead for the standpipe at the bottom of the overflow. Attach a male adapter at the end of the standpipe and screw it into the bulkhead with teflon tape. A union can be used above this point if you ever want to take out the standpipe for cleaning. The problem with not glueing when using a slip type bulkhead is that when the pump is off (i.e. water changes, or power outages) water will slowly leak at the bottom of the overflow through the unglued pipe going into the bulkhead. If the sump below can handle the full volume of the overflow then you got no problem. If it cant take this additional volume then your sump will overflow. Hope you understand and this helps.

OP
OP
jerseypete

jerseypete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I think the sump can prob handle it. I have check valves on the return. The sump runs at about 50 % volume. Plus the bottom of the stand has a pan that can hold another 5 gallons. Maybe something ill look at changing in the future but for now i think ill leave it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back