Copepods oh my!

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'll approaching week 2 of the start of my tank. My lfs gave me a few frozen fish that I left in the tank for 5 days while I was away. Now I have a flurry of copepods, which I think is good. But my waster test still showed 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0 nitrate. Is that normal? And yes I'm trying to take a pic through a magnifying glass with my iPhone not too successfully as you can see.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1397852587.905761.jpg

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been testing the water daily? After 5 days you should definitely have seen the ammonia and nitrites rise. Have you done a water change? I'm not sure why everything would be reading 0 five days into the cycle.

OP
OP
shornik

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad test kit maybe? I'm going to ask my lfs to test my water this weekend and see if that explains it.

OP
OP
shornik

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. How can you tell the difference? There was some brown algae on the sand when I got back. But there seems to be less now.

Sent from my iPhone using REEF2REEF

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch them under your magnifying glass. If they sort of slide around like snails or slugs, they are probably the algae flatworms. If you can make out tiny legs or antenna and they scurry rather than slide, then they are copepods. I have the same in my tank. I was really freaked out when I first saw all the little critters lol

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/ne...156442-what-these-little-dust-sized-bugs.html

there's a link to my post about it. I didn't have any idea what those bugs were and I was like OMG!

KillerKlownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have missed the spike.
What size tank do you have?
What did you start your tank with?
Dry rock? Live rock? Sand? Crushed coral? Water mix or live?

OP
OP
shornik

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, my signature wasn't showing up which has that info: Anyway I'm starting a:
Nuvo SR-60g; Innovative SkimMate 30/38; Radion XR30wG3

I have live rock, live sand, not sure about the water, I'm getting it from the lfs.

OP
OP
shornik

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any media right now just empty filter socks. I am running skimmer so I'll turn that off.

KillerKlownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started w live rock live sand (cc) and the water that is boxed had all the bacteria and more. It took about 3-4 weeks for it to cycle. I didn't believe the LFS owner but it cycled quick w a very small spike. Next I put a cleaner shrimp and a cuc. I have media and carbon. Some people get rid of the media and carbon, not sure why.
Keep an eye on everything. Sounds like it cycled. I heard you can put a hardy fish in there that can survive the spike and actually helps the tank cycle.

OP
OP
shornik

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back from lfs. They tested the water and all 0's just like my test. Do the consensus is the tank cycled while I was gone. I came home Ruth 6 red and 6 blue legged hermit crabs and 12 snails. Drip acclimating them right now.

newjack0000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah turn off the skimmer. might be a problem there. You want protein in right now not out. Just to be safe I would go to Publix (I use to live in Altamonte Springs, FL so I know you got one) and get some deli shrimp. Put them in a mesh bad like for onions and through them in. Worse case scenario you start another cycle. That would be better than stalking the tank and not having th right bacteria. Only downfall is it would take more time.

Don't trust the LFS they do anything to make a sell. Always check here first! The first time I took my water to them to test 3 days into cycle and they said I completed the cycle and wanted me to buy all this fish and CUC and crap. That's BS I made them test infront of me and Ammonia was off the charts while nitrite was just starting to read.. The way they look at it is. You kill the fish you buy. You miss the 2 day warranty and buy 2 more then so on and so on.

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO if you used fully cured live rock and sand chances are you had a small cycle and just missed it.
Personally I'm not a fan of letting anything rot in my tanks.
Seeing as you already have some CUC I'd recommend testing daily.
If you see a small rise in either ammonia or trites then it quickly zeros out and you have a rise in trates then you are cycled.

1reeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shornik... This is a great forum & really glad your asking questions! In my 20 years in this hobby the "ONE" constant you need to have ( including myself ) is patience! It's the most difficult part of this hobby in IMHO!!! Lol. MOST tank cycles are in the range of a month, so why not wait, research if those really are copepods & water test for next 2 to 3 weeks! Your probably gonna be in this hobby for years so what's another few weeks! Not to be a know-it-all because I seem to learn something everyday but the one thing I do not advise is using "hardy fish" like Damsels to cycle your tank! I know MANY do this but if Ammonia levels are high this can be extremely cruel & even kill the fish which is the opposite of our intentions! As an alternative , you can put a couple pieces of small shrimp in or whatever food you plan on feeding your fish! This will be sufficient to complete your cycle without harming any inhabitants! Have fun & remember patience, research, patience, research, patience, research & you will have greT success!!!

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shornik... This is a great forum & really glad your asking questions! In my 20 years in this hobby the "ONE" constant you need to have ( including myself ) is patience! It's the most difficult part of this hobby in IMHO!!! Lol. MOST tank cycles are in the range of a month, so why not wait, research if those really are copepods & water test for next 2 to 3 weeks! Your probably gonna be in this hobby for years so what's another few weeks! Not to be a know-it-all because I seem to learn something everyday but the one thing I do not advise is using "hardy fish" like Damsels to cycle your tank! I know MANY do this but if Ammonia levels are high this can be extremely cruel & even kill the fish which is the opposite of our intentions! As an alternative , you can put a couple pieces of small shrimp in or whatever food you plan on feeding your fish! This will be sufficient to complete your cycle without harming any inhabitants! Have fun & remember patience, research, patience, research, patience, research & you will have greT success!!!

lol reeflover knows what he's talking about. I've had water in my tank for a month and I'm still trying to get mine right. Patience is definitely the hardest part. I can vouch for that one.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back