what is the best type of lighting for a frag tank?

dannylez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I'm relatively new to the hobby and currently have a coralife 14g biocube. I want to start a frag tank and it's a JBJ RL20; 24x20x9. I'm going to be doing mostly zoas and soft corals maybe some LPS later on. What would be the best type of lighting for this size frag tank and how high above the water should it be? I would also like to know a good lighting schedule for these. I've been doing a lot of looking on line and it's very confusing. it seems like everyone has there own way of doing things and many of them are opposites. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :squigglemouth:

Bradsreeeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's like asking what's the best car? I used LEDs before and like my growth and my color of corals but if you wanna go cheaper the. Go t5, don't forget you half to replace bulb every 6 months. Do some research bud, youtube diffrent brand LEDs. Check out the artic T247, it's fully dimmable and timer built in. Only 200 bucks!

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's like asking what's the best car? I used LEDs before and like my growth and my color of corals but if you wanna go cheaper the. Go t5, don't forget you half to replace bulb every 6 months. Do some research bud, youtube diffrent brand LEDs. Check out the artic T247, it's fully dimmable and timer built in. Only 200 bucks!

6 months is incorrect, or rather of opinion. Generally most people who RUN T5s will change them every 9-12 months. Growth rates for me is beyond LEDs, others will agree but to each its own.

Here is a picture of my current frag tank with an AI Vega over it. Its hanging at 30" from the bottom of the tank.
13315935855_be7d61a41a_z.jpg

Ocean Revive is one of our vendors, they recently released the Arctic-T247 LED Aquarium Light. I got to see it in action at the recent SWFMAS Conference. Comes with a little cool remote and coverage was good.
Arctic-T247 LED Aquarium Light_Aquarium LED_OCEANREVIVE LED

Keep in mind LEDs are very powerful. I would start them at a low setting and run them for 8 hours blues and 4 whites, as time progresses up the time and then the power setting.

OP
OP
D

dannylez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. I don't have the tank setup yet and the lighting will be in place when I start putting in coral frags. Do i still have to do the acclimation cycle for the corals to the LEDs? If i go with the T247s how far above the water should it be mounted? The tank is only 9 inches deep. I was also looking into the RAZOR 120w but is is double the price of the T247. I don't mind spending the money if it's worth it. So far the T247 looks pretty good. Thanks for your advice.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back