Been lurking for a while and thought I'd introduce.

coker98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how long I've been signed up on R2R. I was referred and figured I'd I traduce my tank.

I have a 187 leemar (60 x 30 x 24) happily lit by 2 x 24 inch reef breeder photons. I have mostly frags in there now but they are growing and the tank is getting more stable by the day.

I have a 75 gallon sump made by fujimoto with thicker glass and no top braces for easy access.

I am running carbon through a TLF 150 reactor and have an aquamaxx cone S 3 skimmer currently pulling gunk. my return pump is a jebao dc12000 and it is dead silent. It is definitely a relief from the Rio HF26 that I was running.

In tank circulation is provided by 2 x wp40s and 2 x wp25s.

I'm not sure of the amount of rock I have but rather I just built structures that I liked and it seems to fill the tank out nicely.

I am housing a ritteri anemone and hopefully it sits still. It has wandered off before into a power head and caused me to press the reset button on the tank. It killed a large hippo tang, large yellow tang, mystery wrasse, chromis and a couple other wrasses so I just cleaned the rock and started a new setup.

I just glued all my frags down tonight and it took a better part of the night and around 7 tubes of super glue gel.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Left

Middle.

Right.

Clam cove. That squamosa is about 11 inches across.

Purple ritteri.

OP
OP
coker98

coker98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot the fish list.

Powder blue tang
4 x lyretail anthias
1 x hutchii anthias
2 x frostbite flurry clowns
2 x spotted mandarin
3 springers damsels
Midas blenny
Tomini tang
And 2 cleaner shrimp

OP
OP
coker98

coker98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's late.

Also have an aquamaxx star 1 calcium reactor that supplies calcium needs. It's currently controlled by an American pinpoint ph controller but I will be getting an apex in a couple weeks to monitor and control most operating processes or the tank.

OP
OP
coker98

coker98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the significance of using the orp? I was going to get 2 ph probes. One for the tank and one for the reactor. The temp probe and the leak detector. I heard it will let you hook up a cam too. I have an ip cam pointed at the nem right now but want a full tank shot on everything and will hook up another cam if able to

kpiotrowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
long story lol. here is something I posted on another forum tonight to get you started so you can research.

my last system was 120g tank with 50 gallon fuge and my orp ran in the low 400's due to that relatively large fuge to dispaly ratio. My new 300g with immature fuge that has an area af about 36x15 is struggling to maintain 300 and so I am considering ozone lately ( please note my above comments about not knowing what it is was a poke for someone who has yet to reply here). so if anyone is interested in this first you must measure your orp to see if it is even needed. well, first actually you must understand what orp is a measurement of. I took the time a few years ago to understand it and since I always monitor orp. It is my personaly feeling that If I had to choose between monitoring only one of the following, orp,ph, and conductivity I would choose orp! I measure my sg with a refractometer ., I maintain strict alk levels so ph to me is mostly of no concern....nothing I'm going to chase and try to change anyway. Your orp tells much more about your water quality!!!

This is a really good topic that was started here! understand you can get away without using ozone....but you can't get away from orp. orp has always been and forever will be, regardless of your awareness of it. it is not some new cool trend in the hobby. It is biochemistry and basics of life. and if you have an aquarium monitor that you can plug an orp probe into, it is my opinion it should be your next purchase before any pretty coral.

orp will tell you things like

you are feeding too much. or have too many fish
time for a water change, carbon change.
something is dying or has died.....
and time to run ozone.

but again, run too much ozone and you kill EVERYTHING. a big enough ozone generator could melt your skin off. and since your lungs are a single cell thick membrane this is the first place it becomes harmful to humans. prob kill a canary like real quick!......like tweet tweet...DEAD!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I had the link in-hand to offer, but there was a recent article profiling results from a study where they found that corals directly control the orp of their surrounding water. May have been on Advanced Aquarist, but I can't recall for certain.

I think it's possible to do most things (beer, ozone) in moderation to the point they won't do immediate harm.

In terms of ORP, I've never read of anyone who wasn't chasing a number that seemed both erratic and elusive. Not a usage-based number that declines or increases predictably (nitrates, alkalinity). Not a number which consistently correlates to tank conditions (pH).

I have to wonder if the corals themselves don't fight the changes the tank owner makes with ozone?

Dosing ozone sounds stress-inducing on one hand...on the other hand, monitoring orp seems a lot like chasing the dream of having one all-important, or all-telling parameter.

In many ways orp monitoring has always struck me much like many who start out watching pH and add something to the tank in response to changes they see. Taking action on the barest understanding of what they are seeing. The recentness of the discovery of corals' control of the orp in their environment is a good bit of proof in that direction.

If you had the capability to monitor orp, I would say to use it - you still might learn something. I would be extremely hesitant to do anything solely based off the number you read on an orp meter. I don't think I could suggest going out of your way to enable orp monitoring, though...since you don't have the probe and already have your ports earmaked. (Unless cost is no object....)

$0.02

-Matt

OP
OP
coker98

coker98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I've done a little reading and apparently the magic number isn't really a magic number but a range. Between 250 and 450?

Do I have to get another module to read orp or will just the base unit be okay?

kpiotrowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
standard module on my apex full version has orp port. it is one thing to say that corals try to control their orp...which i wont disagree, and another to think they by themselves can control the orp environment of the tiny little box we put them in and call it and ecosystem. It is a great monitoring tool regardless of what orp your water is. monitoring is about detecting changes.

OP
OP
coker98

coker98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted. I haven't looked into it but how many monitoring ports does the base version have. I would need 2 ph ports, an orp port and possibly a salinity port.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%

Back