Water change water

herlin518

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am getting ready to do my first water change. I am using RO/DI water (I have my own RO/DI unit). I am doing about a 10% change of my 90 gal tank. I added the correct amount of salt to the water (I am using Coraline Marine Salt Mix). I stirred it for a bit, then let it sit for a while for the mix to dissolve. Oh, I also have a heater in the water. I followed the instructions on how much of the mix to add, the same way I did it when I filled my tank. I tested the water for salinity and it is way low. The only thing I can think of is that I have nothing aerating the water. Does that sound right?

Thanks

anizato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, keep circulating the water. I usually have a mix going minimum 12 hours prior to using it, heater & pump.
If your gravity is still to low after an hour or two, add more salt, wait an hour and test again, etc... you are aiming for 1.025. 9 Gallons is a lot of water to mix, so you want to get it right!

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix my new saltwater no more than an hour before using it. As long as the salinity, temperature and pH approximate the display it is ready to use.
Measurements are rough guides, trust a refractometer or a clean hydrometer you have checked against a known device such as at the LFS or a friends device.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
On my large tanks I mix the water in 44 gallon containers using a mag 9.5 for about 4 - 6 hours.
In my smaller tanks I mix the water up one day and do it the next.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back