Urgent help!!!

Andre.nicolau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a 60g tank with 20g sump 3 weeks old. It has only sand and rock. The problem is that today a small battery powered light that I have dropped on the sump and some liquid got out. It stayed there for probably 2 hours and aparentely the filterwatte (synthetic fiber mechanical filtration) held most of it. I changed the filterwatte and, as far as I can see, everything is ok. Whatelse should I do??? Please help me!!!!!!!

newjack0000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a tuffy. I would be worried about toxins. I don't think this is a usual case.
I would not put a fish or coral in there yet. I would do 20% WCs. about 4 or 5 times 3 days apart. Then monitor your nitrate cycle. When your ready I would put in some inverts and make sure they survive for a week. I don't know what you would test for foreign toxins.

newjack0000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanted to be 100% safe I would do a 100% WC and restart it. That would suck though. Wait for second opinions before anything incase someone has experienced this. Change any mechanical filter you immediately.

OP
OP
Andre.nicolau

Andre.nicolau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, just like a flashlight. I don't plan to add livestock untill may 6. Do you think it will be ok by then? The NH4 is 0 and NO2 is reducing (the tank is 3 weeks old). I added some carbon...

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a poly filter pad. It is designed to pull out heavy metals which is what the battery would have leaked.

P.s this is on top of a nice water change. Don't panic you are not the first that has had a battery in the tank. It is not as bad as it may first seem.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back