Diatoms???

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came back from work this evening and some of my dry rock has orange stuff growing all over them. It's not real fuzzy or anything... but it's starting to look pretty gross in there. It's even on my crushed coral in certain spots. So I'm guessing these are diatoms? My nitrates have been 160+ ppm. Since these diatoms are in there now, are there any steps I need to do? Should I continue with my water changes? Change filter media more frequently? Tank is a month in it's cycle. Does this mean I need to get a CUC to clean up the diatoms?

wuuzzzuuppp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sound like diatoms. What is you ammonia and nitrites? Sounds like your tank is close if not finished cycling. If your ammonia and nitrites are at 0 Then I'd do a big water change and then you are good to go to start adding critters. What are you using for filter media? Are you using RO/DI water? The diatoms will eventually go away. It's a normal for a new tank. Just consider it growing pains.

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive done a few water changes already. Nitrite and ammonia 0. Nitrates are ridiculously high beyond reading lol. I initially used natur spring wayerw from outside but have been dojng water changes with rodi. How long do these diatoms last? Will they lower nitrates?

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown cyano (looks like your rock has rust on it), just a cycling thing with already cycled LR. If it starts going red, maybe a nutrient problem like over feeding the new rock that can't handle the feedings cause it's still developing bacteria. It can also be a lighting issue?

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Looks like rust all right. It's on my one LR i bought from LFS a month ago, plus the dry rock I got from BRS. Can't be over feeding because I don't have any fish in there. Lighting I'm using a standard flourescent bulb that came with the tank. Nothing special there. So then what I thought was diatoms is actually brown cyano? Is this normal for a newly cycling tank?

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it's normal for LR that doesn't sustain enough bacteria for your bio load, it should catch up in a month or two

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics. I touched it and it's not slimy at all. It rubs off, but it's on there pretty good. So what do you all think? Cyano? Algae? Diatoms? I was previously using spring water from outside but have been doing all my recent water changes with RODI.
20140422_181017.jpg

It LOOKS slimy, but it's really not. It's really dry.
This rock up there is the worst looking one. It's the LR I got from the LFS about 3-4 weeks ago.

20140422_181029.jpg

20140422_181045.jpg

20140422_181114.jpg

These other rocks are Dry rock from BRS

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be the lighting but I don't think it's is. Do you use phosorb?

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about your nitrates till your ammonia and nitrites are down

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is progressing just as it should. Those are diatoms and its a normal progression of a newly cycled tank. Do your water changes and choose a CUC. In a week or so you can choose a fish and begin stocking slowly. Congrats!

Crinomau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah dear diatoms... so useful, so uggly... I had a Diatom Nightmare a few months ago, although I knew it was a part of the process to get a healthy tank they are not really eye catching (unless you have a good microscope). They use Silicium to build their tests and benefit from the rising levels of Phosphates that can build up in new tanks. After taking home some Turbo snails and a blenny, the trouble dissapeared, I also did an emergency "2 bucket a day" water changes to take off most of the algae and it did work very well :eek:)

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms are a single celled algae that there outer skin is made out of silica, they will fuse to grow.
If you see air bubbles under it it's brown cyano, hopefully you'v got diatoms

Last edited:
OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing some researching and I read about the cyano and the bubbles. I don't see any bubbles and It's not slimy. Seems kinda dusty, like diatoms. And it seems to be spreading quickly. Every day I have more coverage of this stuff. Wish I had a microscope! I read that cyano is maily seen in older tanks and diatoms in new tanks so it's gotta be those diatoms... Still keeping my fingers crossed tho. Are blennies okay in Crushed Coral substrate?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, blennies can live in crushed coral but most do like rock work with crevices and holes. They do best with some macro algae and many graze on algaes in the tank. I don't remember the size of your tank but they need 30g minimum.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a few hermits and a few bee snails. If you like shrimp once your nitrates drop some after a few water changes cleaner shrimp are hardy and cute. So are coral banded shrimp.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back