how do use the siphon hose....

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
without getting salt water all through your mouth, down your shirt and on the floor. The only way I can get the water started for my water change is to suck on the end of the tube to get the flow started and I end up with nasty salt water in my mouth. there's got to be a trick to using these things lol:neutral:

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 2 ways to start them. One is the way you are doing it or you can submerge the entire unit in the tank until the hose is full of water, plug the small end with you finger and hold it shut until you get the small end in the bucket.

rob92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another idea is to see is you can get a (pump ball) or whatever they are called you can but your hose in half and put that in there all you do is squeeze it a few times to start the siphon

10g Frag Tank (cycling)
55g FOWLR
Current Project: 46g Bowfront Project

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good ideas! I have a maxijet but it's in the tank in circulation mode. Maybe I'll go with the pump ball idea... LFS?

rob92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure where to get them I'm sure you can order them from somewhere I've only seen them on the siphons that's are for sale

10g Frag Tank (cycling)
55g FOWLR
Current Project: 46g Bowfront Project

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at a reef store and they actually sell ones with the little ball pump now, someone got rich with such a simple idea lol
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1398360848.009052.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Python siphon hose. I simply put the first three feet or so (just past the valve) into the tank and kink off the hose with my hand. I quickly pull the valve end out and over the tank and un-kink the hose.....siphon starts.....done.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all the above are great ideas. Or you could stop sucking as soon as the water is over the edge of the tank. Its just a matter of timing...or kink the hose before you get a mouthful!! ;)

thormx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Submerge the hard plastic tube part in the tank, fill it with water, letting all air escape. Lift it out of the water till around half of the water drains from the tube, then submerge it again. You should have a siphon, no sucking or mouth full of water!

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go with the maxi jet, it's pretty cheap and helps a lot for syphoning and refilling your tank after a water change (instead of the bucket method, just dumping it)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%

Back