Zoas help

Smitty007j

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first coral a zoa it opened up fully for about a week and now only opens a little everyday. What should I try first to see what's bothering it?

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any filter media in your tank that is designed for removing phosphates or nitrates? My zoas we're staying closed but when I added new media they all opened. That worked for me.

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any filter media in your tank that is designed for removing phosphates or nitrates? My zoas we're staying closed but when I added new media they all opened. That worked for me.

OP
OP
Smitty007j

Smitty007j

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta check again but zeros across the board I have a gfo and carbon reactor and also micro algae. I read that sometimes the water can be to clean is this true? I have no algae at all in the tank

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try replacing your GFO and carbon with fresh GFO and carbon. That worked for me. And I'm not sure on the too clean water.

newjack0000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta check again but zeros across the board I have a gfo and carbon reactor and also micro algae. I read that sometimes the water can be to clean is this true? I have no algae at all in the tank

As for too clean water on certain corals that can be a problem. If you ever look at all the care info some say prefers or thrives in less than perfect water.

Could be a pest bothering it or a snail that wants it really clean or I've seen this when there's too much flow on it.

OP
OP
Smitty007j

Smitty007j

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It had a turbo snail get on it one day and hasn't bothered since. I just replaced all the media. And I dipped it before I added it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back