newby question about after cycle

adrianthetwin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have a 10g and the cycle just finished on Sunday and so I did a water change added 5 hermit crabs and a turbo snail something small I guess so now that I'm waiting I did a quick check on my parameters and I notices my nitrites is up like .25ppn it wasn't up when I did a water change am I doing something wrong and also .y water is a little smelly I leave the light on like 8 hours a day so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong and my hermit crab arnt really moving a lot is that normal??? Thanks guys

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you sure your cycle was finished? could one of your new additions died? are you sure you meant to say nitrites are up and not nitrates? Hermits are usually pretty mobile.....I can't think of a reason for the smell though...? bump for your questions - hopefully others can chime in

OP
OP
A

adrianthetwin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been cycling for about 1month and some weeks had nitrates abd nitrites both go up then move down so I assumed it was cycled and people were telling me it was ready imo I'm not sure it looks ready but looks c an be deceiving here's a pic of my paremeters today
IMAG1214.jpg

OP
OP
A

adrianthetwin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I just checked the water parameters right now at 4:20 I think it's going though another cycle lol god **** I'm lost

IMAG1219.jpg

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are still cycling for sure but don't get stressed out over it. You can do water changes to keep your nitrites down and help your cuc survive it. It will go down just don't add any more livestock until its done cycling.

Jc_ellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much live rock and sand do you have? Do you have a refugium? Every time you add livestock, the bacteria reacts and multiplies to handle the additional load; if you do not have enough surface area for your biological filter to develop on or you add too much at once, you will start a mini cycle.

OP
OP
A

adrianthetwin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just going to wait it out my fish seem to be doing fine and my hermit crabs and snail I just do a small water change to keep nitrites down a bit

neddog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the others said your cycle Isn't finished yet. You need to wait it out and let the cycle finish up. I wouldn't do anymore than a 1/2 gallon water change until things level out

OP
OP
A

adrianthetwin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**^^^^ thanks I'll keep you guys posted everything's looking good my nitrites still there I see a little nitrates but not letting the nitrites go down but laura ce is key I'll wait

OP
OP
A

adrianthetwin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So came home and same thing nitrites still up and no nitrates yet I don't know what else to do I still have my cleaning crew doing I don't know what but I have nothing growing on the rocks I had an old fish there from the first time I thought it was cycled he's still alive doing well looks like he's healthy to me checked my nitrites and nitrates today nothing's changed I'm just waiting I t out hoping somethings changed before I buy another fish

OP
OP
A

adrianthetwin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

this was this morning but when I got home to test it out nitrates went back to 0 again so it's just playing with me lol

IMAG1230.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back