Blue fish suggestions

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for suggestions on a blue colored fish to add to my 38g tank. I have two clowns and a royal gramma now. Want to add some blue color to the package- no damsels please!

Anyone have a favorite?

OP
OP
M

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about small school (3) chromis. But when I asked my lfs (which I tend to trust), he said they are prone to disease more so than other fish. He said he had a hard time getting good ones in. I have a qt soni was still thinking about taking my chances.

Anyone ever hear that chromis are difficult due to disease?

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the problem with cromis is they are often kept in overcrowded conditions at the collectors and wholesalers places. This leads to rampant diseases and very few fish that get enough food. Once you get a cromis healthy they are quite hardy. It is just that at the very beginning they need extra time and attention to recover.

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a scissor tail dart. beautiful blue and grey. yellowtail damsels are the least aggressive damsel and wouldn't be a problem if added last.

wildcrazyjoker81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are great flashy fish. All mine that I buy typically make it through QT, but die off fairly fast in the DT. Hopefully you will get lucky.

OP
OP
M

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kill each other off? I thought they were a schooling fish?i was under the impression they enjoyed living in multiples. One day in qt and they are eating and seem well. I'll keep updates. Hope they don't kill each other!

wildcrazyjoker81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes kill each other off. I think the whole schooling fish is false. Maybe they school in the wild or as juvi, but I have been through at least a dozen of them and have had 3 survive. They still chase each other around the tank nipping here and there.

wildcrazyjoker81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No agression to any other fish besides them selves. But then again my much larger tangs, angel, and mag foxface would pummel these little guys ha ha.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not directly to other fish. As for schools it is only possible in large aquariums with larger fish around. Schooling is a defensive mechanism and is common when they are young. Once they mature they fight for mates and breeding territory. You can get lucky sometimes. If all the fish are of the same size and in peak condition they can survive the harassment.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 134 59.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 80 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.1%
Back