sump

macci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello friend i am gonna set up a new tank can someone tell what is the best media i put in the sump

regards
chris

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best media in the sump area is Cheato, Caulerpa, or other macro algae.

saltykisses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An oxydator is a handy bit of kid hydrogen peroxide with the catalyst I have one in my sump

saltykisses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have some carbon wrapped in a stocking (wit woo) and put in the bottom of a filtersock..

saltykisses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's alright it's a myth that it has to flow thru' it theirs a link I'll find for you on it brb..

saltykisses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
► Despite popular belief, carbon does not need to be placed in a canister filter or a compartment where all tank water passes through it. Dropping a mesh bag full of carbon into the sump works fine. This is because carbon works by electrically attracting particles- it is not an inert mechanical filter. Studies have shown that bags of carbon in a sump with moderate flow removes substantial quantities of organic pollutants, medications, and heavy metals. Actual performance depends on the flowability of the bag material. It is most effective if you use a media bag with the largest possible hole sizes but small enough where the carbon cannot escape.

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's alright it's a myth that it has to flow thru' it theirs a link I'll find for you on it brb..

Your sock alone will stop water going through it when there's to much muck, it will over flow your whole sock and start to poor over it so how can there be flow going through your media at the bottom?
Unless you change your socks every 2-3 days it really a bad idea

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
► Despite popular belief, carbon does not need to be placed in a canister filter or a compartment where all tank water passes through it. Dropping a mesh bag full of carbon into the sump works fine. This is because carbon works by electrically attracting particles- it is not an inert mechanical filter. Studies have shown that bags of carbon in a sump with moderate flow removes substantial quantities of organic pollutants, medications, and heavy metals. Actual performance depends on the flowability of the bag material. It is most effective if you use a media bag with the largest possible hole sizes but small enough where the carbon cannot escape.

Like you said, more flow the more effective it will be

saltykisses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's right .. But I'm ok with how I have it.... It's a trade of because I don't really want a reactor just chaeto m'mud lr rubble and my oxydator .. Low carbon footprint(boom,boom!) couldn't resist although I may have to get a uv steriliser in the future..

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump.jpg
I change filter socks every 2 days. Have Skimmer - DSB with chateau - live rock - return. Works for me !

saltykisses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok seeing as we're doing pics here's mine just been battling an algae bloom by the way so it's a bit greener than normal..
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406390496.461468.jpg

Just simple and natural.. Chamber 1. Sock carbon,alfragrog. Chamber 2. Chaeto miracle mud, heater. Chamber 3. Return pump socthing oxydator..:-D

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not related to the original comment, but had to comment that Lesley has the most spotless sump I think I've ever seen!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back