Just a question

Adam332

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've decided I want to build my own little aquarium sometime this year and I've been looking for as much info as possible before I even attempt to start anything.

My main question is what fish can mix with what ?

I'm just going to list some fish/creatures here that I'm interested in having, could someone tell me what can't be mixed together and what can. Thank you!
  • Seahorses
  • Pipefish
  • Spiny Box Puffer
  • Blood Red Fire Shrimp
  • Blue Finger Starfish
  • Black Spine Sea Urchin
  • Clown Tang
  • Royal Gramma
  • Flame Firefish
  • Longhorn Cowfish
  • Yellow Boxfish
  • Striped Damsel
  • Moorish Idol

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the best way to answer your question is with another question. What size tank, and equipment you planning on running? What type of tank, fowler or coral and fish. The answer to these questions would be a good start for people to help you.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum Adam! That's quite a list. Much will depend on what you mean by "little", in terms of gallons/liters. A clown tang for example may require a tank in excess of 150 gallons. Another variable is the other life forms you may want to keep, like coral, or perhaps you intend fish only. Other variables are vegetation, water turbulence and even temperature, which may be concerns when it comes to seahorses, pipe fish & starfish. My own advice would be to start with the meekest, hardiest fish first, then add slowly in order of aggression. Some of the species you list are considered very difficult, indeed. By getting a tank going first, and then adding the most hardy and meek fish first, it gives one time to learn about different species. Planning on something like a moray, will greatly reduce the fish one can keep, as depending on circumstances, will simply eat anything that will fit in it's mouth. Let's see what others say. Again, welcome to the forum.

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
start and go at a slow pace! just like castaway said, some of the fish you listed are definately not for beginners. get easy stuff first, ima be helping a friend of my start a tank soon.and im going to be advising him to get the easy, and hardy stuff first, corals and fish. I started in this hobby with no help from friends because i was the only one doing salt, and made a lot of $ mistakes, and it just got my hope down. This forum is a awesome place for you to get good truthful advise, and sometimes a debate lol

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add some thoughts; it's great to start with an end in mind, like you are. So many start with no end in mind. The key is though, to start! Get a tank going, based on what you can afford. Remember that aquariums are all about balance, and balancing parameters in a large tank is easier than balancing parameters in a small tank. At the same time, cost is linear, so large tanks can require much more in expense up front than small ones. So, what size are you planning? How much space do you have? Are you in a position were you may have to relocate the tank at some point in the future, like when moving? Size will determine most everything regarding your list.

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So at 109g, I would rule out the Clown tang and Morish idol, for sure. Jus too small of a tank. The Moorish in particular is an expert level fish anyway, and as a beginner, the odds would be stacked against its survival and subsequently your enjoyment of the hobby. I might also rule out the boxfish and cowfish, and they too are an expert level fish, requiring a larger tank, not to mention they're poisonous and can easily kill off an entire tank. One thing that may be handy is this site. I think all puffers eat coral, so this may affect ones decision to keep them, with coral.

I know some of this may be a blow to your plans, or likes, but trust me when I say you are not alone. It's not a mistake, and is very common, to learn that our favorites are not compatible, or have very unique requirements. Again, we'll see what others have to say...

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I was saving money and acquiring equipment here and there, I kept a list of fish and coral, first on my phone, then in a spreadsheet. Every fish I'd see in a store, and every fish I'd see on the internet that I really liked, I'd write the name down and start to research it. That list slowly evolved into my stocking plan. Over time, and by the time I was ready to actually buy a fish, I had them all picked out, in order, and was reasonably sure of compatibility. It's a matter of give and take. For example, I have a rimless tank and did not want a cover at all, so I ruled out all notorious jumpers, like your firefish. I love coral, so I ruled out all fish known to eat coral, like angels, triggers and puffers. On thing I love about this hobby is the endless possibilities for fish. So, don't be discouraged too soon about what you really like versus what may not be compatible. A 130 US gallon tank is HUGE. Your Moorish may very well be doable, but hopefully it'll be quite a few fish down the line. I wish you the best. Once you have the tank, please start a build thread. You'll get tons and tons of advice, from people who have tons of experience. Cheers.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly with that list and the set of interests you appear to have, it sounds like you should consider setting up a fish-only tank, or maybe a FOWLR.

Skip out on the shrimp and maybe most/all coral...in that case perhaps another tank for coral?

Likewise for the seahorse and pipefish...they generally require special conditions vs a reef or general fish tank. Particularly the seahorse...pipefish are just difficult.

While anything is possible, it's unlikely you'll be able to keep that tang or Idol happy for long, regardless of other factors.

Just some thoughts!

-Matt

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back