Mandrin fish in nano tank?

devinwarning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a 29 gallon nano cube tank that has been up and running 4 years and ive been looking at getting a mandrin fish but i do know they are picky eaters and given the size of my tank my many cocopods wouldnt last forever but i do have alot of rock and alot of cocopods as of now but im willing to buy live food to keep that fish just because im so in love with the colors and he would make a great addition to my peaceful tank. Im just wondering what would be the best live food, how much it costs, and how often i would need to buy it? Thank you,

clownfitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best long term solution to getting a mandarin is to talk to your LFS and see if you can get them to train one into eating frozen for you.

OP
OP
devinwarning

devinwarning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm going to ask them next them I'm there. I actually had a scooter blenny I got to eat frozen brine but I lost him to a disease breakout in the tank a year ago unfortunately

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do it, even if they are eating frozen. Unless you actually have a lot of experience with the fish I wouldn't try it. The only long term success i know about with them is if pods are continually added to the system which would be costly. It would also help a lot of there are no other fish that would compete for food with it.

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some that are trained to eat pellets. Adding copepods regularly would be really expensive. GL

Roty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I condition manderins to eat pellets and frozen but I sell them for 60 bucks because I garentee them for 7 days no matter what

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I condition manderins to eat pellets and frozen but I sell them for 60 bucks because I garentee them for 7 days no matter what

Could you elaborate on this? I know ALOT of people on here would love to learn how to do this.

Roty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not easy takes allot of time and attention and pods

Roty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trick is to get the manderin to except non moving objects add food

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a thread on nano-reef full of nano tank mandarin success stories and strategies for keeping them in nanos.. I'd recommend having a read through that. I'm not going to link it, don't know if that's allowed, but if you want a link to it shoot me a pm..

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back