What's the difference between a "protein skimmer" and a "surface skimmer"???

angelfishgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to set up a salt water tank, and I've got TONS of questions, but I have a 40 gallon tank, so I know I need a skimmer, but I find thing that say "surface skimmer" is that also a protein skimmer???

BODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A "surface skimmer" is a device that helps to remove build up that may accumulate on the surface of the aquarium water. It is not the same as a protein skimmer.

Is your aquarium "reef ready" with a built-in internal overflow? If yes, the internal overflow would act as your "surface skimmer" and you would hook it up to a sump, and then install a protein skimmer in the sump.
If it is not a drilled aquarium, you would need to select a protein skimmer that can hang from the back of the aquarium, or one that can be installed directly into the aquarium.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a sump? If so the water will go to the sump where your skimmer should be. Some hang on the back skimmers have a overflow box which would be your surface skimmer. With a sump your overflow will pull water from top of tank which basically works the same.

OP
OP
A

angelfishgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bodi, it's not reed ready, it's not even cycling yet, I'm trying to get all of my information before I set up my tank. And mike 007 no, I'm not using one

BODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Reef Ready" is just a term used to describe a aquarium that is drilled for bulkhead fittings and a overflow of some sort that is intended to be plumbed into a sump.

If your aquarium is a standard undrilled aquarium you basically have a couple options. #1 is to have it drilled to accept bulkheads for plumbing a overflow to a sump.#2 is to choose between either a internal style, or a hang-on-back style protein skimmer.

BODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 3rd option I didn't mention is the use of a Hang-on style external overflow box which can be installed without drilling holes in the aquarium, and it would also allow you to plumb the display to a sump. Do your research before choosing this method, there are many who would not trust this design for fear of flooding hazard.

OP
OP
A

angelfishgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks haha I'm pretty new to this then no, it's not, I'm looking for a hangover one and that's when I found the surface skimmer. Is it alright if I bother you when I have a question?? Don't be afraid to say no it wot hurt my feelings lol, I have a lot of questions

BODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be afraid to ask questions! ... there are plenty of helpful members happy to advise you.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 3rd option I didn't mention is the use of a Hang-on style external overflow box which can be installed without drilling holes in the aquarium, and it would also allow you to plumb the display to a sump. Do your research before choosing this method, there are many who would not trust this design for fear of flooding hazard.

I know a lot of folks are afraid of HOB overflow boxes but both my tanks have one and I find it works great. I wouldn't hesitate to use one should you want to use a sump later on.

Back