Best type of sand??

angelfishgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only 16 and the money I use to buy all of my fish supplies is babysitting money, my tan isn't set up yet because I don't have the things I need, I was going to buy an aquarium sand for 35$ for 30 lbs, but then I started reading you can use play sand or pool filter sand and that's MUCH cheaper than what I was looking at, I had planne on doing pool filter sand, because what I've read it's a better choice than play sand, any other alternatives?? And what are your thoughts/experiences with pool filter sand???

Corry123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use play sand or any other sand then real sand used for aquariums, it has a ton of junk in it, and not worth saving a couple of bucks, but when you do buy sand from the fish store, wash it out thoroughly, I found out the hard way that dry sand is VERY dusty. Took weeks for my tank to be clear... But yea just get the normal sand not play sand

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like aragonite sand. There is a seller on eBay that has it for less than $1/lb and it's free shipping. The other thing you can look for is someone downsizing or getting out of the hobby. They might have sand for cheap or free but make sure you fine VERY well before you use it.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back