What am I missing??

angelfishgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting my first salt water, I have the tank filter heater and stand. I am planning to get the sand, instant ocean, a hang over skimmer, and that water testers. I'm trying to get everything in one go off of amazon (except the sand, which is coming off eBay) and I plan to add live rocks while it's cycling, is there anything I'm missing?? I feel like I'm missing something, and is there any advice anyone could give for a first timer?

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO a biggie most people starting up are never told about.

Macro algaes (in refugiums)

I highly recommend you start the tank with chaetomorphia macro algae in a refugium. that refugium can be a simple partition near the glass with horizontal lights to illuminate.

Once you get the macros growing (about a week) then do the rest.

IME the rest, skimmers, water changes, live rock, live sand are all optional. the macros do all that. Still need some circulation. Still need rocks and sand if you want but no need to be live. still need to dose calcium/alk/mag as in the diy 2 part. but most of the expensive labor intensive stuff is handled by macro algaes.

my .02

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
powerhead/s depending on the size of the aquarium. You'll want water movement in the tank.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. But drilling is easy if you have a tank that's not tempered than your good to go. There are many kits you can buy and different ways to add a over flow. Internal and external. Search around there are some nice external ones you can drill through side or back of tank and doesn't take up real estate inside the tank that a internal does.

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI water is very important. Very clean replenishable water is a must to achieving a low nutrient system. Do you have access to some kind of water purification system or maybe a local fish store?

OP
OP
A

angelfishgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have well water, and it actually has no chemicals in it, that's what I use in all of my tanks.

BlueChromis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We would also recommend using phosphate removal material as soon as the aquarium is up and running. This material could be placed in a small canister filter.

Phosphate is a potent fertilizer for algae. It can precipitate as calcium phosphate and stick to the surfaces of live rock and sand. This coating becomes a perfect fertilizer bed for algae to start growing. Once you have measurable levels of phosphate, you most likely already have some of this coating in the tank. As many will tell you, algae can be the bane of aquarists.

Also, don't forget to develop good recordkeeping and aquarium management habits.

Good luck with your new aquarium! This can be a fascinating hobby.

BlueChomis

Last edited:

Texas Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well water may be good enough for human consumption, but there may be other elements in there, that in larger concentrations, could harm salt water critters. You might get your well water checked first.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well water might be fine for freshwater, but you might run into problems if you want to keep corals. Not that it can't be done, but it might make it more difficult.

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1... Well water naturally takes on nutrients from the soil as the ground water filters down through the earth. Common in well water would be iron, sulphur, phosphate, etc... All of the previously mentioned items are a no no in a reef system.

Back