Cyanobacteria

Smitty007j

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I've tried everything to find out what's causing this outbreak. I got new lights cut the hours back on them. More power heads for water movement. I have a phosphate, and carbon reactor. A bag of chemi pure elite. An oversized skimmer. And I've cut back on feeding. All of this, and I'm still dealing with an outbreak. I've done water changes every other week and turkey blasted the rocks off. Still nothing. Any experienced reefers wanna help a newbie out?

Mr tooheys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is less then 12 months old Cyanobacteria outbreaks are normal until your tank settles down and becomes more stable

OP
OP
Smitty007j

Smitty007j

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its about 5 months. Im just getting frustrated. Is siphoning it up helping or hurting?

OP
OP
Smitty007j

Smitty007j

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some macro algae and more snails coming on Wednesday hopefully that helps.

alohadood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toothy is dead on. You're under a year tank time. Its totally natural. Be sure to keep up on water changes. Try 10% roughly a week with a vacuum tube and hit your substrate. Unless you have a deep sand bed. Then let it be. DBS is 5inches or more.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano seems to form when biological filtration is challenged for one reason or another. This happens a lot in new tanks, tanks with poor husbandry, and in tanks with issues that kill off nitryifing bacteria i.e. high salinity, high temp etc. The very common misconception, is that cyano forms solely due to high nutrients, when it actually forms do to a lack of nitrifying bacteria to deal with a given bioload. You can fix this unsightly bacteria by freaking out and drastically reducing bioload/cleaning up the tank. You will be left with a biological system that can't process much waste, or you can allow the system to mature and develop more nitryifing bacteria to deal with the challenging bioload. With the latter method your cyano will eventually disappear, and you'll be left with a system that processes nutrients much better. I choose to use products from Microbe-lift (Special blend + Nite Out II) to help this along. These bacterias force your reef into maturity rather quickly.

Last edited:

Arcsenic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'll said man..I've been battling cyano too now for a long time my tank is only about 6 months and based on what I just read I'm thinking about buying something that encourages beneficial bacteria growth and maybe that will help..I've tried phos zorb in my filter and while it slowed it down it didn't get rid on it lol

OP
OP
Smitty007j

Smitty007j

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know if that works Arcsenic. I've already spent way to much money on trying to fix the problem. I think ill just try keeping up on water changes and cleaning.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know if that works Arcsenic. I've already spent way to much money on trying to fix the problem. I think ill just try keeping up on water changes and cleaning.

Search threads on Special Bland bacteria. Very high success rate and it's inexpensive. It does take several weeks to worth though, and it smells like complete crap!

Gardy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using kz cyno clean and zepbak alternating days combined with coral snow and it has knocked it back consoderably. I am tapering off the cyno clean now then in about 2 weeks will taper off the zeobak to a maintance dose of once a week after water change. Good luck if you arnt having any luck I suggest trying what I have done. Every tank is different but this has helped me

dereks16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add my 2 cents. I just recently started seeing a spot here and there in my rocks. My tank has been up for just short of a year and a half. I have fish only w live rock and the lights that come with the tank. Just a 48" flourescent. Not sure if that just slows it down.

nekkidrobert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get red cyan on my sand all the time and I use a chocolate chip start fish and he seems to love the stuff and once he done I throw him back in the sump until it grows back.

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to get some in my fuge all of a sudden on top of the calurpa . None in main tank so far, luckily, I add another circ pump to have more surface movement hopefully that helps .

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to your LFS and get some API EM in the medicine section. This will wipe out the cyano but turn your skimmer off and of course, no resins or carbon. Be careful and research your methodology. It works 100% but research the pitfalls! You don't want to use too much but it is an antibiotic, so you risk not killing all of it and what remains may develop a resistance to it. Of course, it will kill some beneficial bacteria also but this should not be a big deal on an established system.
I have been keeping marine fish for many years and I used to be in the industry, calling on hundreds of aquarium stores. It works but beware; you are treating the symptom, not the cause. Good husbandry will insure a cyano free tank in the long run.

ahmed.boomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had struggles with it in my 120 gallon. Still have a break out every other week. I really don't mind it being unsightly, it just suffocates all the corals. I run GFO, carbon, 0 TDS water. I may switch to halides and see if I notice a difference due to spectrum of my LED lighting. Already put tape over my hyper red LED's.

rworegon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hated red slime is Cyanobacteria. It is, as the name indicates, a bacteria, not an algae. Many people think its a sign of poor husbandry, or high nutrient levels. However, it is one of the oldest life forms on the planet and in many parts of the world, at least here in the Willamette valley of Oregon, it is one of those things that come and go. Its an airborne bacteria that is just there. I treat my tank with Chemi-Clean a couple times a year. In fact I'm treating it as I type. My sailfin tang picks at it but doesn't really eat it. Blow off the rocks and corals with a turkey baster, siphon it off the sand bed, and treat a couple of times a year. Not a big deal.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.7%
Back