Keeping Live Rock

Jcearl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there I am not new to the hobby but I made a newbie mistake. I got about 50lbs of live rock fully cured TONS of life and I put it in my basement and not thinking completely forgot to put in a heater. I went down about a week later and noticed, I took a look at the tank and could see lots of loss, bristle worms, brittle stars, pods, etc. all dead. I dropped in a heater and my question is it the live rock completely shot now or is there a possibility that it could still have life and bounce back? thanks

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How cold is your basement? You could just run a powerhead and let the dead worms/etc be your new ammmonia source. Your rock will be cured again but unfortunately not with pods and such.

OP
OP
Jcearl

Jcearl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my basement is about 60-70 degrees not that cold - how long do you think it would take to bounce back?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Touch call here, but some life inside the rock likely survived.

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK about a time frame. I think you would have to test as if you were cycling a tank; ammonia spike from the dead worms then the rest of the process. I would add a PH in addition to the heater.

OP
OP
Jcearl

Jcearl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added a PH to the tank and I saw a couple worms crawling around, so do you think I am better than I originally though?

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick a hardy fish in there. Or a couple. Chromis work nice. To be cured live rock they usually say about 2 months to be functioning fully cured ive heard up to 5-6 months. It really depsnds theres. Stuff you can by from dr x. Which helps with the bacterial process

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added a PH to the tank and I saw a couple worms crawling
around, so do you think I am better than I originally though?

If you see life that's a good thing. Your rock is still live but you might need to let the bacteria build.

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick a hardy fish in there. Or a couple. Chromis work nice. To be cured live rock they usually say about 2 months to be functioning fully cured ive heard up to 5-6 months. It really depsnds theres. Stuff you can by from dr x. Which helps with the bacterial process

And PLEASE don't do this. Cycling with livestock is cruel.

OP
OP
Jcearl

Jcearl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I need to put any fish in there with the dead bristle worms I think that will work fine, this rock is some primo tonga branch stuff from my friends 220 reef system he had in there for 5 years, and before that he got it from his family friend who had it in his system for 15years so the rock is really nice stuff. and since I see some life on it I am optimistic about how much actually died off.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back