How to cycle help!

Xbreakxitxdownx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello forum,
I have a 90g tank and I was just wondering how do I cycle my tank? I put 70lbs of live rock in my tank a week ago and I just read my levels my ammonia is 0.25 and nitrite and nitrate levels are at 0 do I need to add fish to kick start the process or just let my rocks do it's thing.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1408504417.901250.jpg

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't add fish. It's very stressful and toxic for them to be in an environment with ammonia. You can let the rocks do their thing as it's live rock, so there's already a colony of good bacteria there, but to be on the safe side I'd grab an aquarium net and throw a few raw pieces of cleaned seafood in it and float it in the tank. That will be the new ammonia source :)
The net will stop little bits and pieces deteriorating and floating around the tank.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the type of shrimp you would buy at the supermarket and eat. Just make sure it's raw.
People always recommend shrimp, but any seafood will work. I've used pieces of squid, mussel, fish fillets, it's all good!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend leaving the shrimp in there for as long as possible. I usually leave it in up until a few days before I add the first fish.
I recommend waiting till you have 0 ammonia and nitrites for atleast three days then start water changes to bring down nitrates. After a week or so of 0 ammonia and nitrite you can add a small CUC. A week or two after adding the CUC and if the nitrate is in an acceptable range you can add some more CUC, a fish, or a few corals.
If you take your time it will pay off :)

sk8elenex92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just give it a month or so. Patient is key. Make sure your ammonia is zero and your nitrites. There should be a couple stickies on this topic.

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recommend using any kind of livestock to cycle your tank. I usually use raw shrimp for cycling; I grind it up a little so there's more surface area. There will be an ammonia spike followed by a rise in nitrites. The nitrites will drop and your nitrates will rise. When there is no ammonia or nitrites you can do a WC and start adding livestock SLOWLY. Good luck!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back