What are these little things ???

Jglade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never done salt water before but really love it so far but my question is I got this love rock the other day and it has tons of these little shrimp like things some look like them annoying little silver fish you find in your house lol does any one have a idea what they are and should I have this many? No fish in tank just live sand and live rock just one live rock right now gonna get more soon and some dry rock too if any one could help that would be great lol I quess I'm just more quirous on what they are lol

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like isopods. Post a picture.

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imgres-1.jpg
Do they look like this?

2Q==

Last edited:

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm quirous as to what they might actually look like, a pic or 9 would be a big help :)

OP
OP
J

Jglade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to take a picture for you guys but their to small I have to get really close to see them ;( but some are almost clear and the other ones. Are brown

OP
OP
J

Jglade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
760 mason they kinda look like that but no antena deals it's hard to say what they look like I know this don't help lol but their some clear ones all over this rock it has green Algea on it like grass their crawling all over it and then there's brown ones same size now on the sand and rock

OP
OP
J

Jglade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
the one of the sand is the closest I can get with out getting my phone wet lol but you can barely see the two of these things ones brown and the other one is a clear ish one

OP
OP
J

Jglade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I looks that site out and I'm almost positive their amipods or how ever you spell it but thier still to small to be sure I've added groups on face book about salt water and most of them are full of mean rude people who don't care just want to keep to people who been doing this for years you've been very helpful

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically free fish food. I wouldn't worry about them. They are a good part of a clean up crew. Most reef fish will eat them. Some gobies need them in order to survive. Mandarins can be hard to keep without a steady supply of pods.

Last edited:

KillerKlownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a scooter blenny he ate them all. I got him eating mysis now.
Every now and then I add some tigger pods and all the fish eat them

OP
OP
J

Jglade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I get more if needed or do they grow in my tank ? I honestly know nothing about salt water lol like terms and stuff

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you put fish in the tank they will be wiped out. You need to grow them in your sump. It looks like you just started your tank, concentrate on getting your tank started with some fish and coral and not worry about how to grow pods. If you buy a fish like a mandarin goby then you need to make sure you have a good supply of them. Tiger pods, copepods are available at your fish store. But as a someone new to the hobby ask many questions at the fish shop. Let them know you are new give them your tank parameters. Take it slow and do your research on what you plan on putting in your tank. This site is a great resource. Dont hesitate to ask a question.

CWMorrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jglade,

I am trying to grow them in a 20 high refugium that I grow cheato magro algae.
I feed them phyto feast and powered flake.
The ones that look like shrimp are amphipods.
The ones that resemble silverfish are, well, some other kind of copepod. :)
I switch a wad of cheato from the main tank with one in the refugium that has pods hiding in it.

I though the family used to drive through Flippin on the way from LR to Memphis, but obviously not.

Wayne

OP
OP
J

Jglade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go threw Flippin to get to lr from Memphis might be a little out the way tho lol not much depends on the way they go haha and thanks for the info yeah I'll be taking it really slow I don't plan on putting fish in it for a while but it sure is killing me just looking at it with out them lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back