Dehumidifier water

lefty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dehumidifiers, as you know pull the moisture from the air. The Grey water that collects can be loaded with unwanted biological contaminates and metallic residues pulled from the air. So I don't think I would be putting that in my tank. RO/DI water is best to use. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
jokervueboi

jokervueboi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah just looks like a waste since i have the dehumidifer running and it's pulling like 5g a day straight to the drain.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just think how efficient that would be.......water evaporates from your tank into the air where it is pulled back out and put right back into the tank :) Just need to figure out some type of filtration on a "all plastic" dehumidifier................

mrbee2828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stumbled on this before posting posting the question. So I was considering collecting the water (because there is so much of it on my 400g setup) and reusing it but the copper potion of the equation worried me. I have a dual chamber canister (like BRS etc) and I was thinking about rigging up something with DI. So I collect the water and once I get to a set amount based on that container (ie: 5g bucket or 20g brute) using a small pump to run that water through it's own DI filter and back into the tank. I realize DI resin is more costly than water but since it's already filtered before entering the tank, the majority of TDS is out for the most part. I was considering experimenting to see how long the DI lasted.

mrbee2828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That idea was either so stupid people can't bring them selves to comment or so genius that everyone is out hooking up their own. Any thoughts? lol

Higher Thinking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That idea was either so stupid people can't bring them selves to comment or so genius that everyone is out hooking up their own. Any thoughts? lol
Haha, great comment. Truthfully, I wouldn't risk that. I suppose you could test the copper levels, but it seems super sketchy.

There really isn't a way to make an all plastic unit because the could need to be cold. That's how the units work, by forcing air over really cold coils to condense it. I've never checked the tds of my dehumidifier water, but maybe I will just to see.

Since you gotta put the water through a treatment unit, you may as well bring in fresh water through the RODI. I realize it's a waste of water, but considering how much we spend on corals, dropping some cash on extra water seems like a non factor.

olesalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stumbled on this before posting posting the question. So I was considering collecting the water (because there is so much of it on my 400g setup) and reusing it but the copper potion of the equation worried me. I have a dual chamber canister (like BRS etc) and I was thinking about rigging up something with DI. So I collect the water and once I get to a set amount based on that container (ie: 5g bucket or 20g brute) using a small pump to run that water through it's own DI filter and back into the tank. I realize DI resin is more costly than water but since it's already filtered before entering the tank, the majority of TDS is out for the most part. I was considering experimenting to see how long the DI lasted.
hahaha saw the topic tought i would look since we were talking about it the other day and here you are lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back