Newer to the hobby, have some questions

wjugovich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have a 56g reef tank with a pair of clowns and a half dozen small frags.I also have my old Mandarin, at the local fish shop, waiting for my tank to develop more. I'm looking at a pair of Flame Angels and/or possibly a pair of Picasso clowns.

Do I have a big enough tank to support multiple sets of clown fish?

How many fish would you recommend for that size tank?
I have had many fresh water tanks, does the inch per gallon rule apply to salt and/or reef tanks?

If I have a dead or dying coral, clam, snail, starfish, etc does it produce ammonia similar to distressed or dead fish?

I had a phosphate reactor on my return to tank pressure line from my sump on my old tank. My new tank has everything hang-on-the-back and I bought a new pump-integrated phosphate reactor. Now that I have two reactors, what other media should/could I run to help my tank?

I was running a calcium reactor on my old 36bow (20sump) but I had a real hard time getting it dialed in. Is is worth it to try to run it on my new tank?

I have always kind of ran a random mix of chemicals, according to dosage recommendations, but it is always a random changing mix of products. I have a tendency to go overboard and over do things. What do you use/need to run a reef tank?

I have a small tank
(Amazon.com : Fluval SPEC Desktop Glass Aquarium, 2-gallon : Aquarium Decor : Pet Supplies) that I used to run plants in, what would I need to do/buy to start a micro reef tank? Is the built-in filtration enough or should I get a small protein skimmer (http://www.amazon.com/Coralife-BioCube-Protein-Skimmer-Aquarium/dp/B00C2DBFX4) 40pgh is enough circulation for 2 gallon, right? Is the provided LED light sufficient? What are good fish for a micro reef tank?

Do you recommend 10% weekly water changes and 25% every month like fresh water tanks? Do you test all parameters every week?

Most times my protein skimmer (
http://www.instantocean.com/Products/saltwater-protein-skimmers/seaclone-marine-protein-skimmer.aspx) on my 56g produces micro bubbles and doesn't collect. I can get it dialed in but it is REALLY touchy and only works occasionally and recommendations? Do have any recommendations for a better HOB protein skimmer?

Sorry for so many unorganized questions.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try and answer what I can.

Do I have a big enough tank to support multiple sets of clown fish? In my opinion, no.

How many fish would you recommend for that size tank?
I have had many fresh water tanks, does the inch per gallon rule apply to salt and/or reef tanks? That rule does not really apply to saltwater, the diversity of fish available makes this rule obsolete. So you could put like 20 clown gobies in a 55g, but you can't put 20 tangs. I hope that makes sense. Given what I just said, there is no rule of, "A 55g can only handle X amount of fish" it depends on what fish you have/want. I suggest coming up with a list of potential fish you would like (and try and be reasonable, you should not put any tangs in there) and then we here on R2R can try and help you find the right balance of fish.

If I have a dead or dying coral, clam, snail, starfish, etc does it produce ammonia similar to distressed or dead fish? Yes it does.

I was running a calcium reactor on my old 36bow (20sump) but I had a real hard time getting it dialed in. Is is worth it to try to run it on my new tank? I would be pretty shocked if you needed a calcium reactor so soon. Were you truly seeing your calcium drop THAT much?

I have always kind of ran a random mix of chemicals, according to dosage recommendations, but it is always a random changing mix of products. I have a tendency to go overboard and over do things. What do you use/need to run a reef tank? A lot of the products out there to be honest are just there to get your money or for experienced reefers doing particular types of tanks. I have had no problem running my tank with a weekly water change of ~15-20% and I was using Red Sea NOPOX to help with nitrates and phosphates. That was it. Sometimes things like dosing 2 part for calcium, alkalinity and magnessium becomes necessary but you need to have a pretty well stocked tank or a tank full of clams and/or SPS. It really depends on the tank and what you stock it with.

Do you recommend 10% weekly water changes and 25% every month like fresh water tanks? Do you test all parameters every week? I personally prefer to do a once weekly water change (on the weekends). That way there is no wondering if it is time to do a water change, if its the weekend, its time. Some people do weekly, some do bi-weekly, some do monthly, some don't do water changes at all! The amount can differ as well due to the needs of your tank. Doing 10% once a week on a predator tank (lots of detritus, lots of food, lots of waste) will not do much. I like making up 20g of saltwater because it means 10 cups of salt, easy peasy. I do not test weekly. I did though in the beginning. After a while you will get a feel for your tank and start to understand what it tells you. Testing every so often is a good idea though.

I could not answer your other questions because I am not great when it comes to choosing equipment. I hope this helps. Good luck!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back