Snails dying

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 9 mo old. Two clowns, royal gramma. Just added a bta.

Prior to adding bta I noticed snails tipped over more often than normal. Over the past week it has escalated and I don't know what's causing it. Thought just flow too strong but that's not it. Snails are extending out of their shells while sticking to things. Put a picture here as example.

Phosphate is 0
Nitrates 5-10
Nitrites 0
Amonnia 0

Any ideas?

Should I test for something else?

Also, about a month ago tons of what appear to be baby turbos showed up on my glass every night. They are still out at night, but quantity has gone down.

Help please, don't want to lose any fish or the nem.

OP
OP
M

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops. Here's the picture.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1408930353.744667.jpg

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance copper got into your tank? Dinoflagalites are also harmful to snails.
Have you treated the tank with ChemiClean?
Just throwing out a few possibilities that I know of.

OP
OP
M

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used copper. Added the nem though and I have to ask the guy I bought it from if he has. But, would the nem be effected by copper? Also, my shrimp is fine too. Would copper be effecting him.

Really worried about the bta. Snails can be replaced, but my sunburst is more valuable. So just trying to find causes.

Going to add some gfo tomorrow and see if that helps. I know sometimes a high phosphate is undetectable even with tests.

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is copper in your tank then your shrimp and sunburst would be showing signs of it. I highly doubt copper is killing your snails.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
10 ppm nitrates killing snails? Seems unlikely to me. Is there enough for them to eat?

+1 This doesn't seem like a nitrate or copper issue.

neverfinished

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check for stray voltage in your tank. Snails are the first to start tipping over when there is stray voltage in the tank, at least go me. I would check that first l.

OP
OP
M

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think here is enough for them to eat. I have a ground for the tank as well. The other thing is, I changed my lighting to a more high output led. Could that be something? Also, I have a deep sandbed about 3-4". I stopped sifting during warerchanges about 3 months ago. Could that be it?

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not likely, but copper is not the only metal that will effect snails. Check for any sort of exposed metal in and around your tank and make sure that it isn't coming in contact with the water. It could be something as simple as a stainless steel screw that fell into the sump...

OP
OP
M

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy, I just made a canopy. I wonder if it is the screws. They may be just slightly grazing some splash water.

neverfinished

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because you have a ground probe doesn't mean that there is not any stray voltage still leaching into the tank from a powered, return pump, heater, etc... you need to check for voltage with a volt meter. A ground probe is a temporary fix, it allows the voltage a path to leave the tank, but if there is stray voltage you need to find the root cause and replace the bad item.

OP
OP
M

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the change in lighting make a difference. My theory is that I had lower watt lighting previously which may have added to more algae growth. Now with the wattage I am using I notice not as much (or any) algae on my glass. Maybe the lighting change (either spectrum or watt) is changing the food source for my snails and there is not enough food.

I have two A Mexican turbo and three astrea's left. They seem healthy.

All my hermits are good too. Have to check at night if the emerald crab is good but I assume he is.

What do you think of my hypothesis?

OP
OP
M

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI. Think I figured it out. new canopy I made not allowing enough airflow. I took it off for a day and snails kicked back to healthy activity. Took sides off canopy off to allow for oxygen to reach surface of water. So far so good.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back