My first mixed reef

weissenfluh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I am new on year I have been a fan of freshwater for the past 8 years but like most people in this hobby something felt missing so I started planning and research it has been one full year of research without setting up an actual tank so this is what I have so far on a 75gallon tank.

Equipment on the tank

Aqueon proflex model 2 sump

Aqueon sump pump

Reef octopus in sump skimmer for 125 gallon system

I need to get another power head but haven't been worried about it since the tank is cycling

I forgot the specifics on the light but it's a current fully adjustable led

Over 100 pounds of live sand a couple inches throughout the tank

100 pounds of live rock

I have had the live rock in for two days it's still kind of cloudy but here is a photo is the live rock placed okay lots of small tunnels for water flow any advice is great thanks in advance.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1409169514.221431.jpg

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you may want to think about removing some of the rock - there is a lot in there. You can possibly put some in your sump - the reason I say this is because it may be hard with the amount you have in there to have good flow throughout the tank......good flow is so important for many reasons

Welcome to the salt side of the hobby :) you've chosen a nice tank size to start your journey!

OP
OP
weissenfluh

weissenfluh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I will post a pic Friday of the new aqua scape any other advice is greatly appreciated I plan on putting soft corrals and leathers in the tank if it helps

OP
OP
weissenfluh

weissenfluh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now the middle sump portion is open I was going to put a refuge in the middle but I have seen a lot of people leave the middle section open with just live rock in them I was thinking about doing it that way and I may have to if I take rock out of the display tank I really like this display tank
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1409172089.526796.jpg

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the dual island look as well. what were you thinking of putting in the fuge? you could put live rock in there as well as some macroalgae as well (like chaeto).....you can also put live rock into where your drain line goes into your sump if there is room there.....although I wouldn't overload the sump with live rock - you still want nice flow in there as well :)

OP
OP
weissenfluh

weissenfluh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I put algae in the display tank as well like on the sand or will it over run corals

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can put certain macroalgaes in the tank but research well....there are some nice decorative macros that don't overrun tanks but then some not so good ones that can take over your tank.....a couple names I can think of that are ok macros are dragon's breath and shaving brush (I think is the name) bad type would be caulerpa (could be ok in a sump but not the display tank)

OP
OP
weissenfluh

weissenfluh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you put algae in before the tank is fully cycled you would think they would flourish in a high no2 environment

OP
OP
weissenfluh

weissenfluh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank and remove a bunch of live rock to make it a more open flow won't it effect the biological filtration I just don't know how to stack the rocks to fit all of it and have an open scape

OP
OP
weissenfluh

weissenfluh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is still following this thred can I run a ph probe auto fish feeder on the apex jr

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you asking if you can a ph probe and an auto feeder? Yes you can with the correct modules. Have to be apex neptune auto feeder and probe.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have to get a pm1 module. First thing would be to upgrade to pb8 more connections for modules.

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should secure your rock as it will help with your aquascaping and prevent disaster later. Some use reef epoxy, some use pvc, and some use acrylic rods. If you go with either of the plastics methods, you drill into the rock, then slide it over the plastic like building with tinker toys or k'nex. This method can be more tedious but will allow you to remove rocks later, make changes, and can be more secure. If you choose to just stack it without securing it, you risk a rock slide that can break your glass and crash your tank. Remember that there are a number of critters that crawl through your substrate and under the rock. It will shift over time. Also, I always put a piece of egg crate lighting grate down under the rock. It minimizes shifting and keeps your rock from sitting directly on the bottom glass. You want your rock sitting on the bottom, then add sand. This also minimizes shifting. My final thought on aquascaping is less is more. Often young reefers are eager to stack as much rock as possible in their tank. It is satisfying to see it filled out, and there is fear of bad water quality and the first thing we learn is that live rock is a key element to stability so the natural reaction is to over compensate and build a robust system. The issue comes later in stocking. As you add coral, it becomes increasingly difficult to provide the necessary flow and you quickly run out of mounting places for coral where their lighting needs can be met. Plan for growth, try to visualize the finished product, and realize that time and good husbandry will lead to stability and success regardless of how much rock you stack. The rock is just the base layer upon which you build your masterpiece. Good luck, and keep the pics coming. We love pics.

OP
OP
weissenfluh

weissenfluh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice everyone I just got back in form business travel should have more pics tomorrow afternoon when I get a little more energy to re aquascape the entire tank

OP
OP
weissenfluh

weissenfluh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my power heads in and controller did about four hours of rock work it dosent look like much but is a lot more open there is four in between the front glass and rock and about 3 in from the rock and back glass
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1409358552.660172.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1409358566.276664.jpg

Here is my 325 freshwater in my old garage 1in thick acrylic that may turn into a mixed reef depending how this small tank goes

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1409358670.842692.jpg

OP
OP
weissenfluh

weissenfluh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's a big tank weighs 900 pounds empty I am going to mount it soon I have to build walls and stuff for it

OP
OP
weissenfluh

weissenfluh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finally seeing large patches of green algae and some spots of diatoms about 2x2in squares ready for this sucker to be done cycleing so I can throw a clean up crew in it

Back