AquaC skimmer help.

dairon52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on how to set up this skimmer I am having a very difficult time setting it up. Sometimes it works good and other times it doesn't make bubbles or it overflows its a new system for me.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be very touchy at first - "new skimmer syndrome". Tune it so it runs, but doesn't flood. After a month or less (could be a day or two) it's performance should be smoother and more consistent.

Even then, make small adjustments when you are adjusting it and try not to make more than one adjustment per day.

It's wise to make your adjustments based on the skimmate produced vs the current performance of the skimmer at a given moment.

Can you post a photo of your installation?

-Matt

OP
OP
dairon52

dairon52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a new skimmer in my tank but I am the second owner. I have it raise in the sump, is that ok or should I have it all the way down on the bottom?

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im having some troubles starting my seaclone as well but i think it just needs to create a biofilm the bubbles can stick to and climb up the inner neck of the collection chamber, until then you can use a sponge (like a algae sponge for example) to catch the water before it re enters the tank if bubbles are shooting out. also make sure the water line is just at the bottom of the collection neck, any more and your just skimming clear water

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that the large air valve on my EV-240 is very sensitive. So, I inserted a small length of hard tubing into the small opening provided for ozone and/or calcium effluent and put a small air valve on the end of the tube. I use this for a more fine air flow control. I'll post a pic once I get home. Not all models of Aqua-C have this additional opening.

I suggest running the skimmer pretty wide open, and just let the effluent run back into the system for a couple days. This will allow a film to develop and help to break the skimmer in. Then, route the effluent out of the system, but tune the air input/bubbles down so that your not capturing any output. Then, make tiny adjustments daily to the air input and overall water level using the supplied gate valve, until you are producing skimmate. Then, don't touch it.

My experience is that certain things will cause the foaming to increase, or decrease altogether - like cleaning, or feeding. I think it's important not to chase these reactions by making adjustments to the reactor, because when things return to their "normal" state, you'll either be producing too much, or not enough skimmate. I have mine adjusted to produce as dark and thick of a skimmate as possible. I also find that my sump water level affects skimmer performance as well, and that I must maintain the water level on-center with the gate valve output.

Hope this helps. I have nothing to compare it to, but think the Aqua-C skimmers rock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dairon52

dairon52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running it were is making the most bubble possible and its pushing it up.

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so your air intake valve is almost closed? how much skimmate is it producing? what color is the stuff its collecting? you said a new system are you referring to the skimmer or the tank? if its the tank that's new, how new? whats your livestock list?

OP
OP
dairon52

dairon52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer is new it was collecting before and it was a lime green color but then it stop. My tank is been running for 5-6 months now and is not over sock 7 fish in total. I bought the skimmer used if that helps.

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so your tanks been going with fish long enough for sure then, did you clean it before using it yourself or just throw it on? if you cleaned it then it will still need to break in. How long have you had it running now? is there anything collecting, if so what color is it? if its dark muck its doing its job and this is referred to as dry skimming , if it looks like its collecting a tea colored liquid this is called wet skimming. what you want your skimmer to do depends on what your trying to do with it, but dry skimming is usually what your shooting for unless your trying to do some heavy duty removal, in which case wet skim, but watch both your water and salinity as it will fluctuate with wet skimming not to mention it will start dumping once its full either on your floor or back into the tank

OP
OP
dairon52

dairon52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put it in but the previous owner had clean it and store it for several weeks before I got it. The skimmer is been on now for 4 days

OP
OP
dairon52

dairon52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey just an update. I seem to have finally tune it ant it has been skimming for the past 4-6 days with no issues. I want thank you guys for taking the time to help and give me advice.

OP
OP
dairon52

dairon52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how its set up, and the skim is becoming more green also it use to be before a lot lighter.

Attachments

• 1409588207933.jpg
    1409588207933.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 1409588226472.jpg
    1409588226472.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 96

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good, although still fairly "new", a good word of advice i was given and ill pass on to you, is when you go to clean the cup, try n leave the inner neck be and don't clean it (unless of course its insanely dirty, to the point where it affects the performance) , that way you wont have to go thru another "break in period"

OP
OP
dairon52

dairon52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it it will take me a while before having to clean it I have the skim draining to a big bottle like the once you get when you buy juice haha

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it it will take me a while before having to clean it I have the skim draining to a big bottle like the once you get when you buy juice haha

Under almost all circumstances, sooner or later, you'll get a brown buildup at/above the foam line.

Buildup kills skimming performance, so you'll want to clean the skimmer and neck to keep it as clean as you can.

The key to cleaning the neck is just not to get your fingerprints - which carry oils (and maybe other stuff) - on the inside. Just handle the exterior and use a scrubbie or acrylic-safe algae pad on the inside with running tap water.

Whether you empty the skimmate bucket every time or not (it will get stinky), I'd plan to give the skimmer at least a minimal cleaning as close to daily as you can...weekly at minimum. Whatever in there is most practical for you. :) Maintenance cycles beyond that result in decreased performance...critters can even start living and breeding in there if you leave a dirty skimmer too long!

FWIW, I kept a long-handle soft-bristle brush like this next to the tank and very often scrubbed out the neck in-place without moving the skimmer cup:

Last edited:
Back