? About trying to select a reef tank

jswo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my second try at saltwater. About four years ago I sold my first reef setup it was a 75 gallon rr tank that I had setup for about 5 years and all was well but 2 little kids took all my spare money. So my question is what would be a good tank to start with, biocube 29 , Marineland 60 gallon cube or Marineland 75 gallon. I know a lot has changed in 4 years so just wanting advice and I know bigger is better but not looking to spend a fortune and already had the 75 so may want something different. Also afraid of the 60 cube because the stand may be too small for a big enough sump. Thanks

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 60 cube would not cost too much to light the tank because of its dimensions, but you are right with the sump area being small. Biocubes are great and are pretty easy to keep. The lights although are not the best at keeping coral although. The 75 would give you a big footprint for a sump.

OP
OP
J

jswo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts too. Just wanting others opinions to see if I'm not thinking of something. Didn't know if a biocube would keep me satisfied or if I would buy it and then have to replace everything? If I get the cube was thinking a Eshopps 75 sump. Is the 60 cube a weird size though all I have to compare to was my 75 and it had a lot of length.

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 14 and it is a great nano tank, but you have your limits on a small tank. I used to have a 60 sitting in my garage but returned it to get a 93 cube. It's a really nice size though. It has an interesting dimension being a true cube. I would either go with the 60 or the 75.

OP
OP
J

jswo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about Marineland tanks good or bad? That's all I have to pick from at my LFS.

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have marineland. No complaints from me. Just make sure to check everywhere on the tank. I got stuck with a chipped tank for 3 months or so.

OP
OP
J

jswo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK , if I do decide to go with the 29 gallon biocube what do I need to expect to replace and how soon will I replace it?

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bio balls should be replaced and if you are wanting to keep sps the lights should be changed as well. But the lights will be fine for a while if you keep lower light corals

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go with a 120g 4'x24"x24" imo-the perfect size reef tank big enough so you can keep most fish, but small enough that it wont cost a million dollars to fill

OP
OP
J

jswo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not going that big, not even sure I want the 75

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you want. If you go led you can get Steve's led biocube uprgrade or take the top off and go with a kessil or something.

OP
OP
J

jswo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to leave the top on, also what about the skimmer and return pump

OP
OP
J

jswo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to leave the top on, also what about the skimmer and return pump
Trying to decide on if the biocube needs to be totally upgraded if it would be cheaper to just get the 60 cube.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have a biocube 29 the coralife version and love it. Here are some recommended upgrades to give you an idea. First like everyone says get rid of the bioballs. I run a aquaticlife 115 mini skimmer in chamber one works good no complaints. In the middle chamber I bought the intank media basket and refuge basket. I use chemipure blue in the bottom chamber on the media basket with purigen in the middle chamber and filter floss on the top chamber to polish the water. In the 3rd chamber I use a cobalt 100w heater and I upgraded the return pump to a rio 6hf. The rio puts out 350gph as opposed to the 264 stock pump. I personally do not like the steve's led retro kit and prefer the rapidled retro kit instead, both kits install in the hood nicely just rapidled is my preference. I also use 2 koralia 450 circulation pumps in my display for flow. This is how mine is set-up and I have no complaints or problems with flow or nutrients.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 60 cube may be cheaper imo after all the upgrades for the biocube.

OP
OP
J

jswo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said in the first post I like all 3 tanks just trying to decide what I want to do. I had the 75 and liked it plus the stand is big so can put a lot down there. The 60 cube caught my eye but quickly learned it may be hard to fit a big enough sump in it which meant a smaller skimmer then. The LFS had good options for lighting for it ( cheaper). Also If I go with the 60 it'll be in a corner and don't know if I"ll like that. So the biocube started looking better but if I spend 400 on a new retro light, new pump, ect is it really what I want either?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 52.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 22 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.5%
Back