Why is my fish Dying? :(

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a Coral Beauty in my tank wednesday night and he's dying already. I'm not sure why, but I'm very upset. He was my second fish... :( he didn't even have a name yet. I acclimated him for 3 hours using drop method and he did just fine until just a few hours ago when I found him in the corner laying on the bottom. He appears to be really gasping for air. Before that, he was swimming around and seemed perfectly okay. I called the LFS for information and to ask if they have a warranty on their fish and they responded with "No, but we can test your water for you." If you ask me, that's terrible customer service. We forked out $40 for a fish that lasted 2 days. But I'm digressing...

Anyway, I tested my waters and this is what I got.

Temp: 78
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
PH: around 8.2 or 8.4... hard to tell these colors....
SG: 1.021
Phosphate: .25 ppm(has a very slight green tinge)
Nitrates: 40 ppm

Due to the high nitrates, I only feed once a day, and is a very small amount. Only just enough for them to consume. I haven't done anything to the tank. Yesterday afternoon I added some powder to raise my ph from 8.0 to 8.2, but other than that, nothing has been done. No water change, no other additives, nothing. He just suddenly dropped over in just a few hours. between the hours of noon and 5, he just.... keeled over. He's not floating, or trying to swim at all. just laying there seemingly "breathing heavy".

Should I go ahead and remove him from the tank so my ammonia does go up from a decaying fish? He's not dead, but the poor thing is suffering. I don't know what to do. What caused him to keel over? :(

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates on the high side and also the powder you added. If you have a QT tank or good size container I will move him.

EuroGti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A ph of 8.0 is great. Why would you chase ph?? A sudden increase or decrease of ph is not good. If the tanks natural ph is hovering around 8 there is absolutely no reason to adjust it. Let it be.

Also why so low salinity?

Last edited:
OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a QT tank yet. I have a 10 gallon tank, but it is not set up. no water, no LR or anything. My other fish, yellowtailed damsel has been in there 5 days and he's doing well.

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping my sg around 1.021 and 1.022. Is that too low? I thought that was perfect. :-/ I always thought ph was supposed to be 8.2... I figured 8.0 was a little low. Also, it was understood by me that salinity is to be 1.021 - 1.022. I'm new at this and these are the first 2 fish I've had so this is a learning curve for me.

Last edited:

PapaDragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a QT tank yet. I have a 10 gallon tank, but it is not set up. no water, no LR or anything. My other fish, yellowtailed damsel has been in there 5 days and he's doing well.

How long have you had this tank running?

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been running since March and completed it's initial cycle long ago. I didn't start adding fish until this week. I'm going to do a water change again to get the nitrates a little lower. I'll raise the salinity a bit, as you have suggested. Tho I did read that salinity should be around 1.022 so I'm a little confused there. Hopefully the water change will bring the ph back in check too.

EuroGti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a fish only tank? If it's Fowlr, then sure you can run 1.022 no problem.

If it's a reef tank you will want to bring it up.

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a fish only tank? If it's Fowlr, then sure you can run 1.022 no problem.

If it's a reef tank you will want to bring it up.

For now, it's a FOWLR. I'm just starting out. Maybe after a year of experience I'll start gettign some corals. So can It be assumed changing the PH is what made him sick? if so, why did it take so long? I added the powder last night and he was fine until this evening. Just now, he has a big seizure and just flat out died. Removed him from the tank. :(

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now, it's a FOWLR. I'm just starting out. Maybe after a year of experience I'll start gettign some corals. So can It be assumed changing the PH is what made him sick? if so, why did it take so long? I added the powder last night and he was fine until this evening. Just now, he has a big seizure and just flat out died. Removed him from the tank. :(
Sorry for the loss. If fish is recently added I would not add any chemicals to the water. 1.019-1.022 for a FOWLR are ok.

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do LFS usually carry any kind of a warranty on their livestock? It kinda sucks to dish out over $40 for a fish that dies after 1 day. Surely they can do SOMETHING to help me out.

EuroGti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most places do not. If lfs had to have warranty on fish, we prob wouldn't have any to begin with. There are way to many variables. This hobby is full of people starting out, just like you. Many fish deaths happen because tanks are not ready, param are wrong, poor stocking choices, ect. That is not the stores fault. If they had to warranty every fish that died, they wouldn't even be able to stay in business. That's just the unfortunate truth.

As the hobbyist it's on us to make the right moves. Buy healthy fish that are eating, observe them for a while at the lfs, have a qt and meds ready incase you need them. You will soon learn a qt is your best friend. Having a good lfs with healthy livestock is great, but it's on us to make sure our tanks are up to par. It doesn't sound like your fish died of parasites or anything. Good luck!

preston469

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do LFS usually carry any kind of a warranty on their livestock? It kinda sucks to dish out over $40 for a fish that dies after 1 day. Surely they can do SOMETHING to help me out.

Most stores dont have any guarantee on salt water fish

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parasites are ruled out? That's good. Sorry for being new and a little unclear, but it was most likely the ph stabilizer... right? As for the nitrates, I'm still working on those. UPS just delivered a 20 pound bag of live sand today (I should probably order another 10 pounds). I'm gonna start gradually swapping out my crushed coral and replacing it with this live sand. It's been explained this will help my nitrates. Thanks to all for your advice. I'm trying here. Lots to learn and sadly, sometimes mistakes need to be made to understand things better. So I guess my mistake here was mainly the ph powder? Was that my big mistake?

EuroGti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It very well could have been the ph. What exactly did you use to adjust it?
The reason I was leaning towards that is because of the fish gasping on the bottom. It could be flukes, by you wouldn't know unless you did a FW dip. It's a parasite that attacks the gills on fish. It's a quick killer, but not that quick.

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used API Proper pH 8.2

It very well could have been the ph. What exactly did you use to adjust it?
The reason I was leaning towards that is because of the fish gasping on the bottom. It could be flukes, by you wouldn't know unless you did a FW dip. It's a parasite that attacks the gills on fish. It's a quick killer, but not that quick.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear about the fish :( it really depends on the store as far as guarantee....we have a chain named Jack's that has saltwater and they offer a 3 day guarantee and my LFS is kind of a relationship thing - if a fish died right away (it's been a long time thankfully) then I'm sure they would credit me something.

as far as the death, I'm not sure I would drip that long for acclimation. The ph powder could have caused something but you did say it was hiding a lot at first so stress played a role I'm sure. I'd wait until you change your sand before adding another fish. Keep working on getting the nitrates down

adrianthetwin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah sucks to hear that I'm quiet new to this awesome hobby I have a 10g reef setup w basic things like hang on filter live rock live sand it's been up for like 3 months and I have lost around 200 dollars worth of fish. It makes you wanna give up so I noticed and didn't buy any fish untill I understood my mistakes. Make sure you understand what nitrites and nitrates also ammonia. I swear trust me when i tell you these salt water fish are so picky with there water make sure there is no chlorine tds in the water go to your lfs and get RODI water and or saltwater and also make sure your fish arnt aggressive if you have more then 1 I made the mistake of adding a marroon clown and a damsel and when I put them in they were good for like a day then next day they were chasing eachother fighting and eventually they both died. So once I understood the water parameters you must understand the fish aggression just keep doing research and ask a lot of questions here or to others as stupid as it sounds or your questions sound it can make or crash a tank good luck and never give up I'm only 4 months in but I've learned so much and still learning a lot of new things

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Npw, sometimes accidents happen where they hit the side hard while being chased or other such things. That aside, another fish in your tank may have run it to exhaustion during the night, or....i its eyes were cloudy, it could have been velvet, in which case I'd watch the others closely.

The learning curve with saltwater can be a harsh one. I came from freshwater and it still boggles my mind.

As far as pH, this is affected by carbon dioxide/aeration, calcium, and alkalinity. It is NOT a parameter to target on its own, as it can throw other things out of whack if you do. Make sure your calcium and alk are in line and there is adequate aeration and the pH, fall where it may, will not be a concern worth worrying about. Every tank's a little different. Mine has always tended to sit at 7.8 using instant ocean salt mix with no apparent detriment to the inhabitants.

Let me footnote that by saying I'm not sticking with IO; I found a source for seachem reef salt at approximately the same price and intend to try it. That said, leave the pH alone. It can be an indicator that something else is screwy, but unlike in freshwater it is NOT a parameter to fool with individually.

He may have had a hard time adjusting to your nitrate levels, though I believe that usually takes longer to show up.

BTW, damsels doing fine means very little. They're such tough little suckers it generally takes a nuclear explosion to take them out XD kidding aside...I would increase your aeration for the time being. The angel would be quicker to show an effect from low O2 than the damsel you have (unless this is the wrong person I'm talking to.)

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back