Need some advice.

jkef2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been cycling my tank since 08/26/14. I've Ben testing once a week sometimes two. Only going in the tank is a snail and hermit. Since I've started the levels have no moved at all. My ammonia seems to have stopped at .5 and the rest is zero. Last time I did this it was about 2 weeks and my nitrite levels where moving somewhat. I mean nothing has moved at all. Idk what to do, I've never experienced this before. The live rock I was told was from a established tank that was 8 years old. I added 20lbs of live sand. Idk if it's a beneficial bacterial issue or what. There is no carbon or anything just a filter pad in the filtration. Skimmer is off....I'm at a loss any help would be great.

Do they sell beneficial bacterial I can add to supplement it if so what's it called?

Thanks!

OP
OP
jkef2010

jkef2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so it's normal that nothing else has rose? I was just getting a little panicky because the last time I set up this tank my nitrite rose after about 2 weeks.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you used Live Rock thats 8 years old, and does not have any die off, you will not see a cycle in your tank.

Makena95GT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you used Live Rock thats 8 years old, and does not have any die off, you will not see a cycle in your tank.
While that is true.. he also wouldn't have his ammonia stuck at .5ppm

OP, maybe try taking a sample of your water to a LFS or friend or two to test again just to be sure?

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I would get it tested by a second source if I were you. Get the exact numbers.

Oh, and are you using the API liquid kit by any chance? The ammonia test - 0 in SW looks like .5 on the FW chart. You might be looking at the wrong chart.

Last edited:

Makena95GT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you dont have the saltwater reference chart you can email API and theyll send you TWO replacements for free.

I had hugh school kids lose mine and I explained the situation and within a week was mailed new ones. Hand written addressing and everything <3

Back