Filling up a 150

SaltedReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm not a newbie LOL that's what we all think right? Anyways I'm upgrading from a 55 to a 150. Trouble is I can't fill the tank very fast with rodi water. Has anyone just used tap water run through the sediment and carbon filter (not RO) to fill large tanks? I'm moving so it has to be done rather quick. And making the rodi water is not happening quick enough! Lol. Let me know how you filled your tanks!

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience... I personally would wait the day for the water to be made. I am a worry wart though.

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah! I used my garden hose through my window from an outside spigot lol. I do run an algae scrubber which does an awesome job removing nutrients.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did fill my 120 with tap water...and I have regretted it ever since. PO4 has been a nightmare to bring under control since that time. Don't rush it. Just get it filled as you can. Learn from my mistake. It's worth the wait to do it the right way!

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO/E, you made the right choice.

I am going to have to go through the same thing, the new 210 is coming in 10 days, figure it might take that long to fill it. Ha.
But, it might actually take that long, figure I can make 15-20 gallons a day -- during the week, with work and all. Much more on the weekends. Better start making some now.

swayd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 coming in this weekend! Once I reseal it I am going to let it fill up from the time I get home from work until the next day when I leave for work. I figure it will take about two days. I have a lot of work to do before I even think about water :tongue:

Kennyb1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't ever let tap water touch your tank. Its not even about the phosphate... The metals it'll drop in your tank are ridiculous. LPS, SPS, and ZOA's cringe in tap water for the most part.

kingclam52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better off doing it right the first time take your time I did my 120 gal with ro/di water and it was worth the wait it will all pay off in the end don't rush things just my 2 cents.

The griz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not gonna lie, I did the initial fill of my 180 with tap. Granted this was 2 months before we even added sand. During that 2 months I ran carbon 24/7, dose a whole bottle of prime, and ran microbacter. Not saying it's a good idea, but we didn't have an ro/di so I did what I had to do. Our local aquarium does lab grade testing for $5 which includes 30ish tests, everything came back perfect for us, but I don't recommend it

OP
OP
SaltedReefer

SaltedReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up filling it with rodi water! I may or may not have used like 3 gallons of tap water to top off what I needed at the end o_O lol

Dr.Reefgood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly wouldn't recommend it, but i have done it. A small 30gal i started off with tap and about 10gals ocean water from the beach. I never got the algae bloom or cyno outbreak. Did get the diatoms but not as bad as most pics i've seen. I did water changes with tap and ocean for couple months. Was using the tap cause the salinity from the ocean was a little high on my hydrometer. That's right i said hydrometer. I would throw sand in the tank from the beach also. Now that i have coral i would never use tap water,or ocean water for that matter. So i would not recommend using tap water. I have heard it doing bad things. But i didnt have any issues

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back