How to catch my six line wrasse!???

misael888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, just like the title states. Need to catch my six line wrasse. He's been in my 150 mixed reef tank for over 2 yrs. For some reason he thinks he owns the place!!! The last three wrasses I've tired to add he has bullied to death :( really want get a pair of flame wrasses but don't want to risk it with him in there still. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. :help: please!!!!

thormx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the bottle trick with mine. It's where you take a small bottle, like a water bottle, cut the top off, stick it back in the body but inverted. I tied that to the mag float with some zip ties. Just put some food in there and wait! It might take a few days, and you will probably catch some unintended fish, but eventually it should work. The good thing about this method is it's far less stressful for the fish than swatting around with a net, and much easier on you.

Elysium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you deprive them of food long enough, they will eventually go into the trap. It took about a week to catch a McCosker and a six-line using the bottle trap method.

Six-lines are notoriously aggressive towards other wrasses and can take over an entire tank as they mature.

clownfitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up having to buy the aquamedic trap to catch my little 6 line demon. Even with that trap it took 2 weeks to catch him. Very clever!! I was sooo excited when the door finally slammed with him in it. It's like he knew when I was holding the line that controlled the trap door even though it is 10 feet long! Hopefully the bottle trap can work with yours but mine wouldn't go near it and starving them into just not caring only works if your tank doesn't have any critters for him to munch on. Good luck, my fingers are crossed for you.

mgsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One way I heard is put you net in the tank but leave ths handle out. Leave it in there for about 3 to 4 hours so fish get used to it. Then put a little food in the net and the fish will go in net. You will need to turn power heads off so they dont blow food out of tank. I have not tried it but watched it on you tube and t looked to work

OP
OP
misael888

misael888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, all good ideas. But this little guy is smarter than the average six line. Not only is he super fast, but doesn't get close to anything that looks un normal to him. Net, clear bottle, I even tired starving him for 4 days but felt bad for the other fish. He swims all day picking at the rocks any little critter he sees. So starvation is out!!! Not sure what else to do!?

OP
OP
misael888

misael888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
small water bottle with top inverted worked for me. Took aobout an hour.

I've tried the bottle a few times. No luck, one of the times for over 8 hours. He doesn't come close at all. Just seems to know that something is wrong.

thormx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep the bottle in the tank for a few days so they get used to it

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you could place a stone for weight to keep the bottle still from water movement from freaking the six line out.

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried everything to catch a rogue damsel in my display. It was just too smart to catch. I ended up borrowing an Aquamedic Fish Trap from my LFS. After three to four days, I was finally able to get her out of the tank. It took a lot of patience and all feedings for the entire duration administered via the trap. I could have caught every fish in the display (including my six-line) three times over before that damsel ever entered the trap.... But I finally got her.

Last edited:
OP
OP
misael888

misael888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I'm gonna have to get one of those fish traps, and leave it in there till he gets in I guess!! Nothing else seems to work.

Back