Anemone not eating

sladeclan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anemone has not eaten in 2weeks. It does not open as large as before. The only thing that I am still working with is my nitrate which is at a 10. My tank is only 5 months old. I recently added a sea monster coral and a blue agave coral. Could this be the problem? He stopped eating about the time I put the corals in. Everything else is doing great..

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be the nitrates. That is a fairly new tank for an anemone. Try moving the corals further away from the anemone if they are of concern.

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK if the nitrates are too high but I do think that anemones are better in tanks that are more mature. How often are you feeding it? And what are you feeding it?

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It probably isn't the nitrates or the corals you added. Anemones will move if they are unhappy in their present location. It is also not necessary to feed your anemone for its survival. Anemones survive thru photosynthesis like any other coral. I agree that your tank may not be mature enough but sometimes they just don't do well and that may be to other water parameters. All you can do is your best and Mother Nature takes over from there.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species of anemone?
How long have you had the anemone?
What size tank?
What lights do you have?
What are your other water parameters, with numbers please. (( include salinity/SG ))
Are you using RO/DI water? If so, what is the TDS?

OP
OP
S

sladeclan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to all of this so I hope I give you all the correct information thanks for all the help. I have a long tentacle anatomy. My parameters of my water are: temp at 76
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
*salinity 1.024
I have had my 55 gallon tank for 5 1/2 months and the anemone for 3 1/2.

What lights do you have? I don't know the exact name of the lights but they are a are the LED and they have the blue light. How long should I have the lights on for and should I keep the blue light on longer than the normal light?

Are you using RO/DI water? If so, what is the TDS? I have been using tap water and found out that was not good on my last water change on Tuesday I use RO culligan water. I'm not sure what TDS is.

Attach some pictures the first one is what it looks like now the second one is what my other one looks like. The anemone I'm having problems with usually looks like the second picture but it's a lot darker it's finally lost all its bleaching.
image.jpg
image.jpg

natalie.ohare27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone warned me about feeding them silver sides I have 3, 2 pink tip condies and one long tip. I switched to frozen seafood mix. Cheaper and safer since it's rated for us to eat. Also if they do not like the lights you have they will move around alot. My tank is near the window and the sun bothers mine so I wrapped some background around the side to darken the tank and switched a bulb for a coral hue and they are booted down now. Nitrates won't really bother your anemones but high ammonia will. Careful over feeding the tank. Spikes in ammonia will cause them to suckered in water and ball up until the ammonia cycles.

OP
OP
S

sladeclan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow so many things I am learning. Thanks for all the help. The only thing I have been feeding my fish is frozen brine shrimp or blood worms. I feed them every other day. They usually eat about half a cube. I feel they are ok with my lighting and current. They have not moved in over 2 months. What is in the frozen seafood mix you feed them and where do you get it?

natalie.ohare27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's just the generic frozen mix from Harris teeter with muscles shrimp scallops. But most everything in a tank with eat raw shrimp if you slice them up, squid too. My mantis shrimp eats shrimp, he does this weird little dance with it first like he needs to challenge it and kill it in a duel

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%

Back