Live rock during cycle?

jswo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a week into the cycle on my 29 gallon biocube, just bought some dead rock and a big piece of liverock to help get the cycle going and I didn't dip the liverock so I was wondering what from the rock will live through the cycle ( bristleworms, snails, ect. ).

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some things on the live rock can live thru a tank cycle. What you want from LR is the good bacteria on the surface so it's good that you didn't dip it.

OP
OP
J

jswo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard good and bad things about bristleworms and didn't know if they would live, also saw a snail.

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the snail probably wont make it thru the first ammonia swing if so then not thru the nitrites, but who knows, crazier things have happened, corals even have been known to lay "dormant" so to speak on lr,
as for the bristles i wouldnt even worry about them unless you start seeing them, imo and most everyone elses the good will normally outweigh the bad, just make sure to look into your tank at various hours, (including when its dark, because there are things that wont come out during light hours ever), if you do spot anything and you cant id it, there is a special hitch hikers thread that you can utilize and we can all help you determine what it is and if its helpful, harmful, or neutral

OP
OP
J

jswo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a few snails I've seen so far, several bristleworms but no big ones yet, and tiny starfish. Sounds like the stars should come out but still wondering if any or all will die so do I need to even worry yet?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 54 84.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back