I'm really new to this and am sure the answer is somewhere on this site but I can't seem to find my

mikeadams84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first saltwater aquarium I've had a few freshwater tanks but I'm trying to convert over. I bought some mail order live rock it looked good when it got here went and bought some premixed saltwater from the lfs here in memphis a couple of days before the rock arrived. The rock came in on a Wednesday as soon as fedex left the rock was in my tank, temp was 80 degrees had powerhead, lights, and filter running. On Friday I had some Carib alive Bahamas Oolite "gravel" come in the mail. I drained 2/3rd of the water out to put the sand in without causing a big mess, which didn't help. I've been blowing sand off the rocks like crazy all weekend stirring up the dust over and over again in the tank and have what looks like white hairs all over most the rocks still have some bright colors on the rocks but a whole lot of white hairs. I'll post some pics of before the sand and this afternoon. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance. And please if you see anything else that looks bad or something that I need to fix please let me know.
20140918_162639.jpg
20140918_114358.jpg
20140922_173606.jpg
20140922_173626.jpg

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like whatever was stirred up from the sand is clinging to small tufts of algae growth. Can't say for sure though :S
Also, some macro algaes can overgrow a tank, do you know what types you have?

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries just leave It alone and let the tank cycle everything should be okay.

OP
OP
mikeadams84

mikeadams84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the rock from floridaliverock.com it was supposed to be "corraline live rock" it looked perfect when I received it, we'll in my eyes, if that's what you were asking @tyler. And @ Mike. Thank you I'm trying to be patient but it's harder than I thought lol I'm ready for some real livestock if you know what I mean. Thank both of y'all for the quick responses.

OP
OP
mikeadams84

mikeadams84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the rock from floridaliverock.com it was supposed to be "corraline live rock" it looked perfect when I received it, well in my eyes, if that's what you were asking @tyler. And @ Mike. Thank you I'm trying to be patient but it's harder than I thought lol I'm ready for some real livestock if you know what I mean. Thank both of y'all for the quick responses.

OP
OP
mikeadams84

mikeadams84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last question for the evening, should I keep the lights goin or turn them off for the next couple of days or so? Thank y'all again.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant the green seaweed looking stuff lol. It's nice looking rock though :)
I would leave the lights on. It doesn't really matter at the moment which way you go, but if you leave them on you'll be able to see all the cool life in the rocks. Plus any photosynthetic life that may have hitchhiked in will be a bit more comfortable :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back