Calcium and magnesium checks

NewEnglishMutt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I've said before in another post I am new to reefs. My corals are doing amazing, they've really blossomed and a couple have doubled in size in just the past month! I've also started to see some new polyps around on some rocks that were coral free when I started the tank. However I don't have the equipment or knowledge to test the calcium and magnesium levels. The LFS kid told me I need to supplement them, but I don't know what to do. What's the best test kit or device? What's the best way to supliment? How often should I test the water?
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1411438839.030586.jpg

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new growth!

First, you DO NOT want to start blindly dosing/ supplementing your tank for parameters you have not checked. Before you begin dosing anything to your tank, and potentially crashing all that you have worked so hard for, invest in some test kits and check those levels! :)

Second, you are growing softies, which do not deplete much of the Alk, Ca, Mg. Your weekly/bi-weekly water change schedule should be MORE than enough supplementation that your thriving corals should need. But how do you know for sure....by Testing! :)

Finally, if you do happen to find that your levels are low (I.e... Ca>380, kH >7.5, or Mg>1100) then it would be wise to begin researching ways to supplement the deficiencies. Although it is highly unlikely that you will find the levels as such.

Good luck!! :)

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to acquire test kits in order to know what your levels are. You do not what to dose anything until you know what your test results reveal. Sometimes many people don't have to dose anything because their salt mix keeps up with the demand of the tank. But highly recommend testing to maintain correct parameters.

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the best test kit or device? What's the best way to supliment? How often should I test the water?
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1411438839.030586.jpg

To answer your first and last question, there are many threads on here that debate test kit pros/cons. Here's my take and preference:

-Red Sea Pro test kits: Very accurate and easy to read. (Uses titration to receive reading) You will pay the extra $ for these.

-Salifert test kits: Also good for accuracy and ease of reading. Some color matching may prove to be difficult. A little easier on the wallet $

-API test kits: Decent for close "ballpark" figures. Found in most pet stores and LFS. Very easy on the wallet ($$).

I would recommend API for your current tank's age and coral species. Softies are more resilient when it comes to water parameter changes. Having a fairly close "ballpark" reading of your tank levels should be more than enough for them to continue to thrive. Although, as your tank matures, along with your coral palate, you will find the need to upgrade testing kits for higher accuracy.

Lastly, I would recommend you test just before your next water change, 2-4 hours after the water change, and then every 2-3days afterward. This should give you an accurate idea of how much (Alk, Ca) your tank is consuming. If you find that it hardly changes from water change to water change, then stick with a once per week testing.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.7%

Back