Drilling holes for a sump

LittleRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband and I recently acquired a used 90 gallon tank that someone gave to us. I would like to put a sump on it instead of the canister filter that it came with. However, we've not had a tank large enough to need a sump before and this tank doesn't come pre-drilled. Would you guys risk drilling it yourself? If so, how? Or would seeking professional help be best? My husband is a mechanic, so he can handle tools, he's just never drilled glass before.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would check in your area if there are any reef clubs. Also facebook is a good place to look.
There are bound to be local people that can help and show you how they did it.

Electrotech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very easy actually just time consuming. You have to go very slow, takes about 30-45 minutes per hole and have to keep it wet.

What type of overflow are you planning on using?

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just mark the circle you want to cut use plumbers putty to make a dam about 1" around the circle (only needs to be 1/2" tall) fill the area with water drill slow and strait. it is that simple!
also make sure to put a towel down under the spot you are drilling I cant tell you how many times I have seen people drill a perfect hole just to have the peice of glass they just cut fall hit and crack the glass on the front of the tank

rotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did mine in about 5 mins just use plenty of water and a bucket to catch the slug .look on you tube .to see how its done

bond300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC_0376.jpg
DSC_0386.jpg
DSC_0385.jpg
DSC_0380.jpg
My husband and I recently acquired a used 90 gallon tank that someone gave to us. I would like to put a sump on it instead of the canister filter that it came with. However, we've not had a tank large enough to need a sump before and this tank doesn't come pre-drilled. Would you guys risk drilling it yourself? If so, how? Or would seeking professional help be best? My husband is a mechanic, so he can handle tools, he's just never drilled glass before.

This is my Sumpless Reef Tank nosump required
Setup with 2 HOT Magnums 350 HOB Marineland filters $150 and LED Light 48" $300 AquaC Remora Shimmer with drain tube Mag 3 drive$250, 3 Aqueon 950 $150

Attachments

• 90G Mixed Reef No Sump.jpg
    90G Mixed Reef No Sump.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 176

liquidg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very easy, get your tile hole saw drill bit at the size you wish to use, mark where the hole is to go.
Make up some water and dishwashing detergent and spray the spot you are going to drill and do that regularly as you drill(very important)!
Now hold the drill on an angle and start a semi circle of the drill bits edge to get it started, then start straightening the drill.
Apply light pressure to the drill and as it is about to pass through the glass pull back and apply near no pressure down wards.
You have a hole now, so sand the inside of the hole and the edges with very fine sand paper.
Done!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back