Any suggestions on how to rid my tank of this?

CFQTPye

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came home to this today. I think it's red slime but not sure. Any suggestions are appreciated.

All my water parameters are good... even the phosphates. Calcium is a bit high 470 but astronomical.
IMG_3007.jpg

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is cyno, how is the flow in that area of your tank? Also do you have it in any other parts of your tank? If not then you should put more flow in that area.

OP
OP
C

CFQTPye

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the only part in my tank that has it so far. The flow is low i'll change it. In the meantime should I clean off the rock or let it settle itself out after I change the flow?

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano can be very difficult to rid. Many times these algae's are consuming phosphates to grow and will give inaccurate test reading. Iron is also a culprit. I have found that reduced water changes ,decreased feeding,reducing aminos ,trace elements or anything else that will cause excess nutrients will help. Also higher temps and older bulbs in your lighting system can also contribute as well.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had that bring up residence in my sons 10 gal tank.. I just turned off the lights for a few days and it went away for a month or so... When it did come back I sucked it off the rock with a shop vac.. LOL.... No more red slim :)

Sun1914

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing to keep in mind is there is NO over night solution.

What worked for me :
Regular water changes (same amount no need to increase amount. Too much will remove good bacteria)
And increase flow
Above all though....figure out what's causing it. Whether over feeding or just bad water.

GL.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%

Back