can someone help me calculate the sump size?

crankbait09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all

Is there a calculator that can help me decide what size sump is best for my tank? I know they always say "THE BIGGER THE BETTER", but I have also heard others say, make sure the sump is big enough to protext you from overflow/flooding when you have the possible loss of power.

With the information about my tank/stand in the thread shown below.......what size can I get away with for a 130 gallon main tank? Is this a simple question/answer? or is it open ended?

I have my first thread (minus the introduction thread) here: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/ne...rner-myself-dangerous-sized-sump-my-tank.html

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several variables, including but not necessarily limited to the water level in the sump, the output of the circulation pump and/or maximum throughput that your overflows will handle. If you know the normal operating water level in the sump you can calculate overflow volume based on the sump dimensions. The tricky part can be determining how much will drain from the display once the pump is off.

I think you mentioned a 55 for a sump in the other thread. Will it have baffles, or no? Baffles will determine water level. No baffles, and it's any water level you choose, and can maintain with top-off.

OP
OP
C

crankbait09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the sump, you have sections which are walled by acrylic or glass, are those what you are referring to as baffles? If so, yes, I will have them.

I know I am probably overthinking this whole sump size thing, bo when it comes down to it, just pick a size that will fit and will leave me room underneath for other pieces of equipment, right?

If I have 30" height clearance where the sump will be, whats the max height I should go?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want enough room for the height of any equipment, your hands and enough room to lift things out/put new things in the sump, with a few inches to spare. Personally, without seeing any of your equipment, I wouldn't go taller than 18 inches. Even that may be too tall depending on how it's set up.
The height of the walls in the sump will determine how much water the sump can hold for run off during a black out. The lower the walls, the more room for run off. But the lower the walls, the less volume of water can fit during normal operation, plus the water level will help determine what skimmer you can use. The deeper the water, the more skimmer options you have.
Also, this is something I didn't consider when building my sump, I added a wall too close to the centre of the sump and I cannot fit a heater in there. I have to use two smaller heaters instead of a larger one. So just plan everything carefully, take as many measurements as you can and make sure you have more than enough room for everything and you'll be fine :)

Last edited:

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine that you will have to get both arms into the sump such that you can lay your palms flat on the bottom. This may mean having to get your head into the under cabinet area over the sump. Don't limit your access in any way, because the harder you make it, the less likely you are to do it. Having plenty of room makes maintenance so much more easy, and likely.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey all

Is there a calculator that can help me decide what size sump is best for my tank? I know they always say "THE BIGGER THE BETTER",

Yes, that is true.
Go with the biggest sump you can put in the space that is available and then go from there.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine that you will have to get both arms into the sump such that you can lay your palms flat on the bottom. This may mean having to get your head into the under cabinet area over the sump. Don't limit your access in any way, because the harder you make it, the less likely you are to do it. Having plenty of room makes maintenance so much more easy, and likely.

Yeah! Don't be like me :) I can get my head and one arm into my tank stand. Makes it real freaking hard to change my sump sock & empty my skimmer Which causes me to put it off longer then what's best. :(

OP
OP
C

crankbait09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want enough room for the height of any equipment, your hands and enough room to lift things out/put new things in the sump, with a few inches to spare. Personally, without seeing any of your equipment, I wouldn't go taller than 18 inches. Even that may be too tall depending on how it's set up.
The height of the walls in the sump will determine how much water the sump can hold for run off during a black out. The lower the walls, the more room for run off. But the lower the walls, the less volume of water can fit during normal operation, plus the water level will help determine what skimmer you can use. The deeper the water, the more skimmer options you have.
Also, this is something I didn't consider when building my sump, I added a wall too close to the centre of the sump and I cannot fit a heater in there. I have to use two smaller heaters instead of a larger one. So just plan everything carefully, take as many measurements as you can and make sure you have more than enough room for everything and you'll be fine :)

as for my equipment, I have NOTHING. I am building this tank from the ground up. I am a noobie starting from scratch literally. I will have pictures this weekend of the stand/tank that will be ready for equipment. Should I be buying a piece of equipment before determining the sump size? Or do I work around the sump size?

is there a DIY thread how to make a sump with baffles? like, height, location, etc.?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way will work. If you were planning to build your own stand I'd recommend looking into equipment first, but because the stand is already built it's probably best for you to figure out what space you have to place a sump, and base equipment around that. That way you know everything will fit properly.
There are plenty of YouTube videos on building sumps with step by step instructions and check out melevsreef.com. It's a great site with everything you need to know about sumps and refugiums :)

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah! Don't be like me :) I can get my head and one arm into my tank stand. Makes it real freaking hard to change my sump sock & empty my skimmer Which causes me to put it off longer then what's best. :(
Me too! When the day comes I want to syphon out certain areas of my sump, I'm hosed (no pun intended). My skimmer will NOT come out of my sump, at all. I can only harvest caulerpa for about three or four minuets at a time without cramping (I'm old). Hindsight is always 20/20, and if I could do it all over again, I'd have given myself at least another six inches.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too! When the day comes I want to syphon out certain areas of my sump, I'm hosed (no pun intended). My skimmer will NOT come out of my sump, at all. I can only harvest caulerpa for about three or four minuets at a time without cramping (I'm old). Hindsight is always 20/20, and if I could do it all over again, I'd have given myself at least another six inches.

Who's old? Lol

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back