Sump vs HOB filter

LittleRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90g tank I'm looking at setting up with a sump. However, I know it'd be possible to run it with 2 HOB filters if I wanted. What are the reasons ya'll chose sumps over HOB filters or vice versa? I do hope to have a refugium in the sump if I do decide to go that route.

finallysalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main advantage of a sump is the display tank looks better. Sumps also increase the overall water volume, leading to a more stable system. It also gives you the ability to have less "off the shelf" options. You can build you own sump or fug etc.

Mainly, a sump gives a sleeker finished look.

red13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the increased water volume and cleaner look to your tank, you are also providing surface skimming via the overflow box in your tank. The surface skimming will prevent that oily film on the water as well as create better oxygenation for the tank.

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a sump is the best option, but not a must. nor is hob filter. your rock is your filter. hob or cannisters can become nitrate factories if not cleaned often. I have a 120 gal. with no sump. hob skimmer and two powerheads.

finallysalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't do a sump I would recommend at least a HOB skimmer. Eshopps makes a great one. The skimmer will provide massive benefits.

OP
OP
LittleRed

LittleRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't do a sump I would recommend at least a HOB skimmer. Eshopps makes a great one. The skimmer will provide massive benefits.

The tank isn't set up yet, I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row before I start. I have a 30g but I don't have a sump on it. I am just debating the pros and cons. Any aquatic supplies is limited where I'm at, so I either have to pay an arm and a leg for it or build it myself. I'm not against paying for what I get, I just want to prepare first.

finallysalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that, if you don't want a sump, you can do a marineland HOB filter. Get one rated about 75 gallon. $40

finallysalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the filtration will be the live rock. If you do I would also get a HOB skimmer, Eshopps psk 75h. $110 on amazon. I have used both when I started a 40 breeder.

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a hang on ghe back.filter i dont have a whole lot of moneh so its taking a long time to build my sump which will cost me less then 100 bucks. Im using an old tank scrap acrylic scrap piping ect. So heres my advice. Go with a sump. Why ? Can u can and will never. Appreciate ur tank more then when theres not **** hanging all around the outside

Kalen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would use as sump. Easier to do the maintenance on. Not really a hassle to clean. You can hide most of your equipment I your sump as well as integrate a refugium into part of your compartments of your sump. Able to house more total water volume. I would do a sump all the way. No ugly hob hanging if the back of your tank or cords.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 55 56.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back