Mandarin goby

angelfishgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite "new" to the hobby, my reef tank has been up for about 4 maybe 5 months now with fish. Betwen 6-8 without them. I have 2 clowns and a Fiji damsel, all seemingly happy. But I would really LOVE a mandarin goby. But I hae a bare bottom tank and everything I've seen, they love sand. The guy at my LFS says it's possible to have them in a tank like mine, full of coral and live rocks. But lately his information has not been so helpful and the quality of the LFS has declined. So, I wanted to do ALL of my research so I don't harm the poor goby. I know some go us jump, will these? And the guy at the LFS says they are captive bred and eat whatever drops to the bottom of the tank, if they end up not doing what he says, how do I feed them?? Answers would be awesome!! I wanna get a mandarin goby ASAP if the conditions are correct!!

preston469

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bare bottom my tanks been running for 6,months or so I have about 20 fish including the go by, I have tons of pods as well, I'd recommend buying some pods from get your pods he is a site sponsor. But that being said it is possible with a bare bottom tank.... ANd they do jump hope this helps

preston469

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0906141922.jpg

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not "Goby's" they are Dragonets! They eat constantly, like 16hrs a day. Make your LFS PROVE to you that they will eat anything. Whether CB or not they still need an established tank, well populated with Copepods to thrive. I don't mean just survive. Most importantly....know when to say NO!

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on pods. Mine is eating every time I see him.a great fish to have . I have found it easier to maintain a pod population than to try to make sure it gets Pellets. Mine hasn't jumped however I have a 180 and I just put a canopy on two days ago. I've had my mandarin for 20+ months. I say get one but start a pod population first and have a refugium even if it's just a h.o.b. other fish will eat the pods as well so you need to ensure he's getting all he needs
20141004_172546.jpg

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on pods. Mine is eating every time I see him.a great fish to have . I have found it easier to maintain a pod population than to try to make sure it gets Pellets. Mine hasn't jumped however I have a 180 and I just put a canopy on two days ago. I've had my mandarin for 20+ months. I say get one but start a pod population first and have a refugium even if it's just a h.o.b. other fish will eat the pods as well so you need to ensure he's getting all he needs 20141004_172546.jpg

Beautiful! :)

LittleRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on Copepods and amphipods. My LFS claims they can sometimes be coaxed into eating frozen mysis but I've yet to see it done. My mandarin is eating 24/7 practically and only eats live Copepods and amphipods. I've never seen him jump, but I have a lid on my tank. They'll be okay in a barebottom, they're a dragonette not a goby, so while they do dwell on the bottom, they don't actually need the substrate.

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 I have in fact seen them eat pellets but as I said earlier you can't reliably ensure they get what they need.im a believer in feeding what's consumed in the wild or as close to that as possible. I've had alot of good fortune in sticking to this practice .if you choose to keep any species in captivity you take on the responsibility of giving them the best care possible good luck and enjoy.

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dragonet.jpg
Dragonets.jpg
I have heard that they are not recommend for a tank that is less than 12 months old ? And although it is possible to get them to eat frozen food (my male & female eat anything) the do spend most of their time picking and eating and grazing. They have devoured my pod population very quickly and I have a 280g with 150kg of live rock and a refuge. Still have pods but not visible to us anymore (like they used to be )
I wouldn't be putting one in a 40g that is 5 months old at all. The chance of survival is very slim.

Dragonet.jpg

Dragonets.jpg

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren't as hard as people make them out to be.
mandarin>dwarf seahorse>moorish idol>ornamental nudibranchs

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren't as hard as people make them out to be.
mandarin>dwarf seahorse>moorish idol>ornamental nudibranchs
Although I some what agree with you that they are not has hard as some people claim. I think there is a huge difference between a fish surviving and a fish thriving. I don't honestly believe it could thrive in a bare bottom 40g that is 5 months old...?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back