Bubble Magus problem

learner1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am new to Marine fish and coral keeping although had considerable experience in tropicals.

My tank had been set up for 4 months and is settling well
I have a Bubble Magus circle 5 skimmer which was working perfectly but now is giving me nightmares.
When we change the sock now the skimmer started overflowing with clean waster- no foam at all.
The top cup filled in seconds so I had to take the stopper off and let it drain into the sump.
After 7 days it slowed down and I replaced the stopper. Then we had to change the sock again
and the same thing happened again. Once again no foam.
Today I noticed a collection of what looks like salt in the sump at the foot of the skimmer.
We have turned the power off and on again but I do not know what to do to get it working properly.
There are air bubbles in the bottom and it is set on minimum.
Any help would be appreciated.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check to make sure air inlet tube and venturi are completely clear could have some salt build up in them

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10" is a bit high in my opinion although the instructions say it's okay. I would raise it up to 2-3 inches which will keep it at around minimum, this will give you more control over the skimmer itself. I had it originally sitting in 9 inches of water and had control issues but moved it up to inches and now the skimmer works like a champ.

How are you washing the socks? I assume washing machine with bleach only.

OP
OP
L

learner1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will lift it higher. I wash the sock in the machine with nothing not even bleach. It comes up very clean.
Originally it made no difference changing the sock but now it causes increased flow
In the skimmer of clean water, no skim at all.
I have checked pipes are all clear.

gmastr85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has to be either the skimmer or the sock.

Have you washed the socks the same way in the past without a problem?

If its the skimmer; make sure all the air pipes are connected. Does the skimmer do this when the sock is not attached at all? or only when the sock is attached.
I would turn your skimmer all the way down and check every variable. With and without the sock. Just to see if it changes anything. Is there something stuck inside the pump inlet or outlet?

OP
OP
L

learner1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have checked and cleaned all pipes. I always wash the sock on a fast rinse programme without any additives not even bleach and until recently had no problems.
I will check with/ without sock as you suggest. Thanks for your interest.

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's the sock. I have noticed that if I don't thoroughly rinse a brand new sock it will cause my skimmer to go crazy as well. I use a garden hose with a nozzle to put out a high pressure stream of water and blast it for a couple of minutes to remove any manufacturing residues.

OP
OP
L

learner1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sock in it out made no difference. The skimmer is now making bubbles half way up the glass but not reaching the cup. Pipes have all been cleaned. Anymore suggestions? I am really grateful for your help. My local store is 50 miles away!!

gmastr85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we can probably rule out the sock. I also agree that sometimes a new sock will make my skimmer go nuts, and needs to be washed.

So you skimmer is making bubbles half way up the glass but not reaching the cup. Sounds to me like it is working fine. You want to tune your skimmer so that the bubbles come up to just below the cup. I keep mine between the bottom portion of the skimmer and the cup, right in the neck. It should not always be pulling skimmate! It needs time to build up and overflow into the cup. You don't want it filling the cup all the time. If I were you, try tune the skimmer so that the water level is in the middle somewhere in the lower portion of the neck. Then wait a day or two and see if you have any skimmate in the cup. Hope this helps!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back