New to Saltwater ...

Chorrale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, I was hoping that I could get a couple questions answered. My tank is about 4 weeks old, 90 gal, just put a couple leathers in last week and everything seems to be going good.

1. Does it hurt to put more leather corals in right now or should I continue to wait? Ill be looking to add a cleaner shrimp in about a week, but im fascinated right now with corals.

2. If I can put more corals in right now, what should I be looking at besides leathers and what should I avoid right now? I haven't even been looking at corals that you have to feed right now.

3. If I wanted to order corals online, where should I be looking? EBay? Does it matter if they are on a rock, or a peg, fragged etc.

Please any help or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Chor

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. You probably could add some more leathers but check your parameters first.

2. Some easy corals are zoas, palys, most lps are easy to keep. If you are looking at sps most birds nest are easy and montis can also be a great beginner sps. Mushrooms are also easy.

3. I would stay away from eBay. Look at pacific east aquaculture for corals. They have some great frags and I think have a 40% off sale on all frags.

gmastr85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you add anything else, has your tank cycled yet? 4 weeks is pretty much prime time for a cycle to be going on. Leathers are pretty hardy and can probably handle it. You should be testing your Phosphate/Nitrate/Nitrite levels. Once they peak and fall back to zero (or close to 0) you are ready to go.

I know its exciting when you first get a tank and you want to get it all up and running. But don't rush it. Even when adding corals or fish to a new tank do it slowly. Too much too fast can throw your whole tank off. You have to build up your systems biological processes and give them time. Personally in a 90 Gallon, I wouldn't add more than 1 larger fish/2 smaller fish per month. And I wouldn't do any SPS corals probably for about 6 months (but thats a whole different debate) and it will vary with your experience.

A cleaner shrimp is a good addition and will do well!

Stick with hardy, easy corals at first until your tank is well established. Nothing worse than spending hundreds on corals and losing them all.

BTW... I would also stay away from ebay.

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like gmastr said, make sure your tank is cycled first. On regards to eBay, I have purchased there with no problems. can't order from vendors that are across the map though, as to you might run into some risks. But purchasing on eBay is like purchasing on other online stores, most online stores are actually on eBay as well. I noticed that zoas and other beginner corals come out very cheap on eBay. And It's also a good opportunity to find corals that aren't common at your local fish stores. In my experience, it has been good also because where I live it's a very limited selection with insane prices... But really pass on ordering online for now and go to your LFS that is reputable. Try out reaching to local reefers as well, most are willing to trade and there is always someone selling. Buying from other reefers was my first purchase and I highly recommend it.

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Sounds like a nice tank.
Take your time adding fish and coral.
You can get some very nice corals here from other members.

OP
OP
C

Chorrale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate it. Right now, I have 5 leathers in there, and they all seem to be doing fine, they open up with the light and close in dark. As hard as it is going to be, im going to hold off putting more in. Like I said, probably be adding a cleaner shrimp next week and then see how things roll. Someone said something about members on here that sell corals, how do I find out who sells what. Also, If I were to buy a frag coral and it comes on the peg thing, do I have to remove the peg and place frag on the rock or do I just leave it on the peg. Once again, really appreciate all the info.

Chor

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a livestock for sale section of the forum.
You can take coral off the plug or leave it on. I typically leave it on the plug because it is already growing on that surface.

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the for sale section or find your state in the local club section and find which group is closest to you. You can then post on there and find other local reefers and learn where frag swaps will be near you.

gmastr85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do either with the frag plug... leave it be or clip the bottom off using a pair of sharp plyers or bone cutters. It's pretty easy to do. I leave them on when I have a spot they will slip into in my live rock... and I clip them off when puttin them on a flat rock.

Back