Hydrogen peroxide directions.

THEACOX88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help I need to know the correct way to use hydrogen peroxide on my tank to clear it off algae

yazeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it in my planted tank,never use it in my reef,i dont think its a good idea

OP
OP
T

THEACOX88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 shrimp like 10 plus snails because I have baby snails everywhere and 2 hermits I haven't seen in forever.

zybergoby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I did this was since I couldn't remove my rock drain the tank halfway and a small spray bottle spray the areas but it is still the algae starts to turn kind of a gray color peel it where the allergies dead then refill the tank. For mixing I did half the bottle With water then the then a quarter of what's left peroxide

OP
OP
T

THEACOX88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See I know you can use like 2ml to every gallon and dose the tank but I want to know how long to wait before needing to change the water, also can I do this and do the 72 hour lights out for better results. Last time I wrapped my tank and turned the lights out for 72 hours the hairy algae on the rocks didn't die like everything else

OP
OP
T

THEACOX88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water did you change out I have a 30g with 12g roughly in the sump

OP
OP
T

THEACOX88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And should I keep my shrimp in like a bucket or something and if so how long till it's safe for them

zybergoby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The animals should all be fine my fireshrimp all made it. After i replaced the water. I did 2 20% water changes over the next 7 days.

Rausch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Randy, i steered away from Peroxide and Lugols and dip my corals with Coral Rx. peroxide seemed a little harsh and i didnt like the fizzyness , Coral Rx still has a potent smell but doesnt react on the corals the way peroxide does. a little better for them IMO. but i am far from an expert on peroxide

EscMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo peroxide is for algae u cant get rid of any other way like dino's. but if you do dose follow a guide. Also you dont need to change water to get rid of hydrogen peroxide as it is unstable and breaks down easily and almost immediately in your tank. You may however want to water change to keep your water params stable as depending on how much you are dosing you may have a lot of dieoff you need to export.

Boggers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For best results, remove a rock and put in 50/50 tank water/peroxide. This WILL kill the beneficial bacteria and many coral. However using a spay bottle on a rock outside the tank is my suggestion for most. I like to dip the rock in some water before I put in back in to remove as much dying plant matter. I would not suggest dosing an entire tank as many coral do not take to kindly to that.

As Randy said, it does kill other things. getting your Phos under control and down should come first.

ingtar_shinowa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use peroxide on nasty sponges too. works great. Though for a whole system.... I would use other methods.

OP
OP
T

THEACOX88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have algae that won't die even in a 72 hour black out... I was told 2ml per gallon of peroxide is that correct

a49panhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found PO3 No4 X from red sea to work really good at getting rid of algae. Maby change your rodi filters.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back