What corals to buy?

Oleshp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I am fairly new to the reefing hobby (my salt tank has been going for about a year now). I have added corals in the past and havent had the best of luck. I recently added a brain coral to my tank which seems to be doing well. My question is, what other corals can/should I add to my tank? I have a 75gal. with two led strips and one t5 blue actinic running. I would like to start with some coral that will grow pretty fast because I'm tired of staring at bare live rock. Also coral that is fairly easy to keep alive and happy.

Thanks for the help
-Phil

OP
OP
Oleshp

Oleshp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention, I would like to have a variety of colors. The brain coral I have now is mostly green.
fpOOGKR.jpg

gmastr85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms tend to spread fast also... birdsnests are cheap and grow rapidly...

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What led strips are you using. It might be inadequate lighting for moderate to high light demanding corals.

OP
OP
Oleshp

Oleshp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What led strips are you using. It might be inadequate lighting for moderate to high light demanding corals.

I have 1 Fluval 36" Full spectrum, and 1 Fluval 24" full spectrum. Both are centered lengthwise on the tank, on either side of a 48" t5 blue actinic.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try some acans, they like low light and low flow.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would my lighting be considered low lighting for corals? I don't want to burn them or give any too much light.

Can you give more details on your lighting? How many led do the strips have? Wattage?

Last edited:

Oldude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would my lighting be considered low lighting for corals? I don't want to burn them or give any too much light.
The answer to that question depends entirely on what corals you want to keep. If you stay with soft & LPS it may be sufficient but may not be enough for a lot of sps. That said, you may be able to keep them alive but they may not flourish in growth & color.

OP
OP
Oleshp

Oleshp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are going to be something like 0.25w led. It might be enough light to keep zoa, mushrooms, green star polyps, leathers etc.

fungia_fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's low light.

If you like mushrooms, you can get a lot of nice colors and patterns that would do well in that setup. They're likely to take over though, so look at some pictures of mushroom tanks before jumping the gun. They're (mostly) easy, colorful, and grow like weeds even in lower light.

OP
OP
Oleshp

Oleshp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. I'll check some out. What would be a good substitute to those lights for me to be able to house a bigger variety or corals?

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. I'll check some out. What would be a good substitute to those lights for me to be able to house a bigger variety or corals?

4 bulb t5 would keep anything but high light demanding corals. 6 bulb t5 would keep everything.

Someone else will probably chime in with which led fixtures would work well.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For LED I would look at reefbreeders or reef radiance, both make good units that will not cost you an arm and a leg

OP
OP
Oleshp

Oleshp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't locally find a 4 or 6 bulb t5HO fixture. However, I picked up a 2 bulb fixture to add to my current lighting. The setup I am currently running is the 36" full spectrum LED, 2 bulb t5ho (1-10,000k, 1-blue actinic), and 1-48" t5 (actinic). I hope this is an improvement over what I had. My corals and fish seem happy so far.

fungia_fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's plenty of light for most stuff. :) That extra 2xT5HO is a huge difference and will help a lot.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back