Rating - 100%
1   0   0

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to dwarf seahorses, it is important to remember that they pretty much only eat live brine shrimp. You will need to raise the shrimp for them to eat them. Also, you will need to protect the seahorses from all the equipment in the tank. They can easily get sucked into the filters.

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm for me, luckily I have a LFS that keeps them live all the time. So if I have a filter, it would be better to put the sponge filter over the intake or just get rid of it completely? Sorry if I'm taking over this thread, it's just I'm thinking of converting my 20g into a seahorse tank. Plan to put gorgonians with them, that's good with seahorses, correct?

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sponge over the filter would be a great idea. Gorgonians make great hitches for seahorses. It would also a be a good idea to put macroalgae in the tank. I will help with the water parameters and serve as a hitching spot for the seahorses.

As far as a 20 gallon tank, that is a different scenario. The OP was referring to dwarf seahorses which do better in smaller tanks. For a 20 gallon tank, you could do a pair of standard seahorses as long as it is a standard twenty and not a long tank. Standard seahorses do better in tall tanks. They need the vertical height to do their courtship dance. Standard sized seahorses also need cooler temps. They need to be kept in tanks under 75 but some seahorses have more specific temp requirements and need it even cooler. The upside of standard seahorses is that if you get captive bred ones they are already eating frozen mysis.

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks :) yea it's a standard 20, and my tank stays from 74-76 degrees. How much flow would be recommend for either standard or dwarf?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back