Sand Bed - does it matter if it is 'live' or just aquarium sand/gravel?

Spendley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29g Biocube, and within the past month I moved it about 600 miles. It was way easier to dump the majority of my sand bed and seed my new sand with a few large freezer baggies full of the old stuff. When I bought my new sand from PetCo I think I made a mistake in the sand that I bought...because when I went back I noticed that they have aragonite reef sand. What I used was just a mixture of their normal sand and gravel.

The aragonite reef sand says it helps maintain pH and provides calcium...how does it help sustain pH? And I assume the calcium gets depleted over time so that is not much of an issue.

Am I doomed for buying the normal sand instead of the aragonite? Or since I have it seeded with my old sand bed (which was the aragonite reef sand, and well over a year old in my system) does it not matter?

Thanks for your responses

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back